Yoplait Banana Strawberry Yogurt? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yoplait Banana Strawberry Yogurt?

I've heard that hedgehogs can eat small amounts of yogurt as a treat every once in a while, and was wondering if Strawberry Banana yogurt from yoplait would be OK? Here are the ingredients:

Cultured pasteurized grade A low fat milk, sugar, modified corn starch, kosher gelatin, natural flavor, citric acid, potassium sorbate added to maintain freshness, colored with carmine, vitamin A acetate, and vitamin D3.

I am not at all sure about these ingredients, especially the sugar, citric acid, corn starch, and the coloring stuff, so if anyone knows if this yogurt is OK to feed Pixel, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Yoplait Banana Strawberry Yogurt?

Here's a thread on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6578&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=lact ose+intolerant+yogurt
Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

A small amount of yogurt is fine because the live cultures in yogurt eat the lactose, but I would not do a flavored yogurt because of the sugar content. I think it would be fine to blend up some strawberries and mix it in a plain yogurt though
shealynn87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ahhhh, I see. I was just wondering because that is the kind of yogurt we get. Mom gets a different kind, but I don't eat it, (and I wouldn't give it to Pixel,) because it is a weird color.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

That yogurt is completely safe to use. I don't understand the comments about sugar or milk. Yogurt is all made from milk. The lactobacillus cultures eliminate any GI issues as it predigests the milk sugar.

Secondly, sugar is not unsafe. There is sugar in fruit and sugar in milk, sugar in carrots, in peas, in corn and in carbohydrates. The little bit of sugar in the yogurt is fine.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I wouldn't use it, but that's because I'm a purist. I prefer the fruit on the bottom varieties because they don't use gelatin to keep the yogurt/fruit from separating. That's a personal preference thing though.

I too don't understand the comments against yogurt. Take a look at the soft food diet recommendations for hedgehogs. You'll see that yogurt is quite often one of the ingredients added. I have used it several times as an ingredient in diets where the hedgehog needed to be syringe fed.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've been told by quite a few people to avoid flavored yogurt because of the sugar.
I have no problem giving yogurt to hedgies, mine loves yogurt, I was just forwarding the advice given to me.
shealynn87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

O...K.... Thank you for the input, I was kind of wondering about the sugar thing. shealyn, no need for the , alright?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

The way I was taught in college when this discussion came up was that the sugar found naturally in fruits and vegetables have differences than the sugar added to a lot of foods that come prepackaged. The biggest differences I remember is that natural sugars found in fruits are monosaccharides that break down in the body more slowly. Most of the time refined sugar is added to things like flavored yogurts and is a disaccharide and behaves differently in the body. Anytime this discussion came up whether in Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chem in foods, Physical Chemistry or any other Chem or Biology class, or even speaking with a human nutritionist every source always said the same thing...that naturally occurring sugars are better for your body than refined processed sugars. It's true that in natural yogurt that the milk sugar is consumed in the process but what ends up happening is it tends to be a tad bitter to some peoples' palates so the company adds refined sugar to it.

A little bit may not hurt the hedgehog but there is definitely a chemical and biochemical difference between a natural sugar and refined sugar. I'm not saying to encourage or discourage I just wanted to share with you what I had always been taught on the subject
Scotty55 likes this.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgieonboard
The biggest differences I remember is that natural sugars found in fruits are monosaccharides that break down in the body more slowly.
Sucrose is a natural sugar. It occurs naturally in pineapples, apricots, beets, corn and other fruits and veggies.

During digestion, sucrose is broken down into glucose and fructose, which are both monosaccharides. Which is why drinks sweetened with table sugar and natural fruit drinks both affect the blood glucose levels the exact same way. The only thing that slows the digestion and metabolization of sugars (any kind) is ingesting said sugar with fiber.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in