Do you have to mix food? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MomLady
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By tony21
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you have to mix food?

After a long time of trying to find a post with an answer, I gave up and decided to ask one myself. Sorry if this comes as an annoyance but what I have seen I just cannot find an answer.

I am planning on using Innova adult weight management cat food for my hedgie and I was wondering if it is necessary to mix in different cat foods. If it is needed I will but I was just wondering if they my future hedgehog would just be fine on one kind of food.

Also, if mixing is necessary, would it be ok to mix two different kinds, but of the same brand? Thanks!
Artist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Reasons for mixing are:

To make sure your hedgie gets all the proper nutients it needs, you are more likely to get them if you are serving more than one brand of food.

If they change the formulation or shape of the food, your hedgie may not eat the "new improved" version--for instance a few years ago they changed the shape of Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul adult lite from "X" shape to round and some hedgies wouldn't eat it.

In case of a recall, you would have to change brands overnite and that would cause stomach upset/not eating and more problems.

Also, when you bring your baby home, you should mix whatever the breeder was feeding and the new gradually over time.

Your hedgie may not like Innova. Mine wouldn't eat Natural Balance Duck and Pea--and it's a highly recommended food.

There's a sticky with a list of recommended foods/brands/formulations. I think there's also one in the hedgie pet care book that's available.

There may be other reasons, but these are my reasons for my mix.

ML
Artist likes this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's the list https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html also I asked the same question about a week or so ago, this might also help https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...-question.html

Last edited by tony21; 05-01-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add on
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony21 View Post
Here's the list https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html also I asked the same question about a week or so ago, this might also help https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...-question.html
Thankyou so much! I was looking for that thread
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The answer is also in one of the stickies - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html Please do look over & check stickies when you're looking for things, they have a lot of information. This question is asked a lot, I'm a bit surprised you couldn't find an answer somewhere, either by searching through threads one at a time or using the search function.

It'd be best to use different brands so you're covered in case one brand has a recall or food shortage & you can't get the foods.
Artist likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Thankyou so much! I was looking for that thread
Not a problem, I agree with Lilysmommy. I always look at the stickies first hey are a Fountain of awesomeness. In my short time on this forum have learnt a ton from reading these stickies
MomLady likes this.
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
The answer is also in one of the stickies - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html Please do look over & check stickies when you're looking for things, they have a lot of information. This question is asked a lot, I'm a bit surprised you couldn't find an answer somewhere, either by searching through threads one at a time or using the search function.

It'd be best to use different brands so you're covered in case one brand has a recall or food shortage & you can't get the foods.

Thankyou for this also. I have read through it and it has helped me a lot. Is Innova and chicken soup for the car lovers soul an ok mix?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup, that'd be fine.
Artist likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in