New with Hedgies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to LoboGfx
Default New with Hedgies

Hello, I got a Hedgehog for someone that did not want it anymore... I feed him/her with 15 mealworms everyday and 2-4 crickets. My question is.. can I give him/her Roaches? (Dubias for example). Also, how much mealies are too much? The hedgies eats them right away and still looks for more, yesterday I gave him/her around 20, all of them gone in seconds.. but still looks for more. I have been reading a lot since I got it. they give him/her 12 mealies daily.. Some webs I found said only 3-5 o.O.. the I found this site and decide to join and learn from experienced owners. Im not sure if its Fem or Male... She still afraid of me either because she/he is not use to b handled or because Im new in her/his life..

Thanks in advance to all the answers =)
LoboGfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New with Hedgies

I think I remember hearing that a few members on here do give Roaches to eat so I think that they would be okay as long as they were farm raised and not from outside For the amount of mealies its hard to say because some give 2-4 as a snack but I have noticed that mine tends to me more active on nights that he receives more insects. I think the biggest thing is if the hedgie tends to be overweight a lot of mealies can add to the problem. I think there are some that do give more insects and approach them more as a supplement to their diet instead of a snack so hopefully there will be more opinions. I'm still looking into this myself but don't have near the hedgie experience others on here have so I'd wait to be sure. I give between 5-10 a night along with his normal food
Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

What are you feeding in addition to the insects? Do you know how much the hedgie weighs? (you can use a kitchen/postal scale)

Yes, roaches are fine to feed, so long as they are raised for pet food. Make sure they are under 1" though, otherwise the hedgie might not recognise it as food, or would kill it and then not eat it because of how big it is.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do not know the weight.. my scale ran out of battery, I'll weight him/her tomorrow... I tried to give him/her some carrots (chopped) but did no eat them... should I mix them with the mealies? ... right know Im giving him mealies and crickets... 7-10 meals and 2-3 crickets (Small/Med Size) Daily ...
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LyzziFall Send a message via MSN to LyzziFall

Lobo, I believe LG was asking was about what kind of food mix do you have your hedgie eating. From the sound of it, you are not giving your hedgie any kind of food outside of insects. This concerns me, and I am sure most of the people on this forum, greatly. Hedgehogs must have a constant source of food. Now, this does not mean that you should run to the local pet store and buy the latest "Hedgehog formula" because most commercial hedgehog foods are junk. Instead most people here feed their hedgies a mix of various high quality cats foods, a list of which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15

This mix is supplemented with bugs, not the other way around.

Good luck!

EDITED to fix spelling mistakes.
LyzziFall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got the hedge from someone that was going to let it go to the wild, I found the ad in CL, and reply to it. I did not want the hedge be in the wild. When I went to pick it up, it was a girl (Around 16-17) and says she did not want it anymore (I figure because the hedge wasnt tame... and always went into defense)... the lil guy/girl has been in my possession for 3 days, he/she is gettin use to me.. I have been following the step to taming him/her and so far, everything is going smoothly..

To the topic:..
I see.. I will check that list and get what he/she needs A soon as I can, thank you all =)
Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Now I have to ask...
Is this a European hedgehog? Or an African Pygmy Hedgehog?
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
Now I have to ask...
Is this a European hedgehog? Or an African Pygmy Hedgehog?
Its an African Hedgie..

Ok, from the list, anything withing the green font is ok for the lil fellas, right? I call some pet stores and they carry "Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Indoor Adult 27", that will be fine for him/her, right? I cant go to the store (Im at work right know) but I cant get it tomorrow
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you can, try to provide a mix of three different cat foods to try and cover all the nurient bases. (Plus bugs as -treats- and veggies if your hedgie will eat them.) Make sure though that the fat content of the cat food is at or below 15%.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like the poor little hedgie has been on a horrific diet for quite a while, if that's what the last owner was feeding. You will definitely want to go buy a good mix of cat foods, but remember to *gradually* introduce them one at a time. That should be the staple of your hedgie's diet, with insects as treats only. With how little s/he has been getting, they are likely to gorge themselves at first out of starvation. Try to ease them into it the best you can, to avoid digestive upsets.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in