Some advice needed - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some advice needed

So I've been researching different kibbles until my head feels about ready to pop off! Dmitri is currently on his "breeder food" which is a mix of Spike's and some high fat kitten food (she didn't say what brand) just to make sure he continued eating when we got him home (about two weeks ago).

I plan on finishing up the bag she gave me and transitioning to a mix of two or three "over the counter" kibbles.

Food is so confusing so I am wondering if someone can chime in about what I am considering.

(numbers are <protein, fat, fiber>)
BB Freedom Indoor (from the volcano list): <32, 13, 7>
BB Wilderness Small Breed Dog: <36, 15, 7>
Wellness Super5 Small Breed Dog: <28, 15, 4>

I looked at the dog foods because they are lower in protein than the corresponding cat foods, while still being corn and soy free.

Plus I remember reading somewhere that dog food might actually be better for hedgies, and a quick search through the archives (my go-to method) showed that many people agree.

If I'm doing my math right a 1/3 equal blend of all the foods above would give me a mix with: <32, 14.3, 6>

But now that I look at it, I could really just choose any one of those brands and Dmitri would be fine, right? Further I could probably skip the cat food altogether! (Though I was feeding that brand to a neighborhood stray. And since she has left my patio for more generous ones, I have some of it left over....)

I guess I just need a little reassurance that I am not going crazy....and a whole lot of advice!
sheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Heh, you're not going crazy! I used to spend an hour or two in the cat food aisle of the pet store where I worked until my coworkers gave me weird looks.

Any of those foods are just fine, alone or in a mix. You may want to watch the Wellness - I know with Wellness cat food, some hedgehogs find it too rich & it will give them loose, smelly poops. Not all hedgies though, so it's worth a try. I believe I used the Wellness small breed puppy food for Lily at one point & she was fine with it (as well as with Wellness Indoor cat food). I didn't realize it caused a problem for some hedgies until some comments were made on the forum about it.

At the very least, I'd either mix the two dog foods or the Wellness dog food + the cat food. It'd be best to have two different brands in case one brand is affected by a recall or other issues, so you don't suddenly have to switch foods. It's also best to mix at least two foods for that reason, and because we don't know exact nutritional requirements for hedgehogs.

Last comment on the foods - check out the size of the kibbles for the dog food once you get them, it may be a good idea to crush them for him. The small breed kibbles are usually small enough, but even then might be hard for him to manage, especially for a young hedgie.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just have to say that I can relate! It's hard to make a choice with so many options!
hlsiefken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kelsey and hlsiefken thanks for the responses and support!

I just got out of the shower (aka the think room LOL) and the more I consider it, the more I like the idea of dog food. They seem to have more veggies than cat foods. Plus, like I mentioned, I like that you get more ideal numbers while still maintaining the great ingredients. So I think I am set on a mix of the BB and the Wellness...for now, lol....I will just chuck the BB Indoor cat out the back window...the strays can eat it!

I think I am for sure going to get a bag of the BB today (I had pseudo-impulse bought a bag of the BB wilderness cat..and when I brought it home I saw that I had misread the label...40% protein! So back it goes!) that way I have it on hand for when we are ready to switch.

I have no problem crushing the kibbles, so that's no worry.

Thanks again guys! It's always good to know I'm not completely crazy.

(BTW Kelsey, where do you live in Michigan? I'm originally from there! And I went to MSU years ago. I'm in sunny Florida now...I miss the snow!!)
sheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

...Oh god, if you want snow, PLEASE TAKE SOME. We have drifts on either side of my driveway taller than me (not a huge feat, to be honest, but that still means they're at least 5 feet)! And we're due for another storm tonight...I would totally change places with you!! I'm actually going to MSU now, heh. I live around Lansing & drive to campus for class.
sheap likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in