Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you feed your hedgie meal worms? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401)

Litch 10-24-2008 09:40 PM

How do you feed your hedgie meal worms?

I bought 5 meal worms today for Prick since he is now home (pics to come tomorrow in another thread) and was wondering how do you feed your hedgies live meal worms. Do you put them in the cage and just let your hedgie get them when he is ready or do you put him alone in another smaller container with just the worm?

Hedgie Mama 10-24-2008 09:57 PM

Re: How do you feed your hedgie meal worms?

i generally just put them in front of her and she eats them in a second

Nancy 10-24-2008 09:58 PM

I set them in from of him or her. :)

Melissa 10-25-2008 12:25 AM

I dont touch them.. Butpour them in a bowl and set it in front of them.. Or put them in their cage. Either in a bowl or the bag tunnels or dig box..

Gnarly 10-25-2008 01:21 PM

If my hedgehogs are out, I just place them in front of them.
If they are in their cage, I have special "treat" dishes and that's where I put the mealworms.

LizardGirl 10-25-2008 02:44 PM

I do the same as Gnarly. :)

roxy 10-25-2008 06:26 PM

i use a plactic baby's spoon

r_k_chic47 10-26-2008 04:45 PM

I pick the mealworms up with a tweezers so the sawdust doesnt come with it, and then I just hold it in front of Pepper. He gets really excited whenever he sees those tweezers, even if theres no mealworm in it! :lol:

Mikolaj 10-28-2008 02:53 AM

What about a hedgie who's supposedly never had mealworms? I bought some, and we spent about 10 minutes pushing worms under his nose with absolutely no interest. I put two in his food dish to see if maybe he'd eat them away from human scrutiny, but today they were just dead so I removed them.

Is there a way to help convince him they are tasty? Do some hedgies maybe just not like mealworms? Will he possibly be more likely to eat them when he becomes more comfortable with me?

Kalandra 10-28-2008 08:12 AM

Some hedgehogs are just very hesitant to anything new. Give it time. If you want, put a couple of mealworms in a shallow bowl and leave them in the hedgehog's cage. Sometimes that will help them decide they are edible. And then there is the occasional hedgehog that just couldn't care less about mealworms and would rather eat something else.