Dog Treats - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog Treats

As I have mentioned occasionally, I work in a store that sells healthy food and high quality products for dogs. We have a number of treats that are designed for small dogs so they are tiny, but hard biscuits. I was just wondering what the general opinion is on giving dog treats. I'm certain the ingredients are fine (one of them has turkey, cranberries, flour and rosemary) but I don't want them to be too hard. Once I had one of the treats in my pocket and he freaked for it. He managed to bite a piece off (despite his lack of front teeth on top) but I took it away as I didn't want him to hurt his teeth.

Quigley is just so picky and I can't get him to eat any soft treats (besides his bugs) grr. and I can't find the baby meat sticks that everyone says picky eaters love so much. I just really want something that I can bring when we go places. His dehydrated beef is good but too rich for him to have all the time.

Also I found this recipe for dog cookies and I think I'll make them as Christmas treats for my brother's dog could Quigley have some (assuming he'll eat it)? Most of the comments say they turn out soft like cookies not like hard biscuits.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/good-dog-c ... etail.aspx

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dog Treats

The only thing I'd really suggest, is using your own personal homemade chicken stock, rather than those "cubed broth stock" they suggest to use.

Just use 3/4 of stock, rather than melting 2 cubes in 3/4 of water.

(An edit...and just in case... homemade chicken stock, as in either taking some chicken and boiling it in water, or taking chicken bones and boiling it in water for the flavour. Easiest would be to buy chicken with bone in, debone it yourself, and use the meat for yourself, while using the bones to boil the broth.)

As for dog treats, the only problem with them is that they tend to be really hard. If you get a clean hammer( or something ) to break up into very small bite size pieces, then I don't see a problem with them.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Dog Treats

Thanks, I thought that their hardness would be the main/only problem. He's such a bugger he's missing teeth and I'd like to feed him softer things but he won't eat it unless it is crunchy.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in