Spike's Dinner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spike's Dinner

I've baught a purple bag of "Spike's Dinner" from Pets at Home, it say's it's for hedgehogs but would it be ok for a pygmy? also how much cat/hedgehog food is appropriate to give per day?
sproule17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Spike's Dinner

I've never heard of spikes dinner. I looked it up but couldn't find an ingredients list. The most important thing about food is that it has quality ingredients and appropriate levels. Reapers food list has lots of good information about food and has a list of most of the appropriate foods that are out there. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15 Also if you post the ingredients and the guaranteed analysis I or someone else will tell you if it is ok.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have this feeling that "Spikes Dinner" is another form just "Spikes Delight" However, please don't hold me to that thought.
IF it is "Spikes Delight" then it's an OK food to feed, but you will need to feed good quality cat foods along with the hedgehog food.

As for how much cat food... Just about everyone here "free feeds". Which means we fill up our hedgehog's bowls with as much food as they can eat. So that they will always have food available to them. Once you know your hedgie a bit better, you will know exactly how much to feed, which would give just enough, without wasting too much. (For example, I count kibble, so I know my boy eats about 40-50 kibbles a night, so I refill his bowl with 70 kibbles a night, so he still has leftovers).

That being said, what food was your hedgehog eating at the breeders/pet shop?
Just because no matter what, you need to make a slow transition if you wish to switch her to new food...

Unless it's a crap food like Pretty Pets and the like...
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

The only hedgies commonly kept as pets are our pet African hedgies, which are hybrids, and not pygmy. If the food is Spike's Delight then it's an okay food, definitely not great and you will want to, as Immortalia said, add another food to the mix.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sproule17 are you from the UK? Spikes dinner is a UK hedgie food. I'm from UK aswel. I feed that to Turbo with a mix of 2 other high quality cat foods from Reapers list but to be honest my hedgie does not like Spikes Dinner, he eats the cat food first and only eats that when its the only thing left in his bowl, so when i've ran out of that box i bought i'm going to put him on just 3 mixes of cat food. I don't think its very tasty to them so i'd recommend sticking with the cat food once you've finished that box.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you are UK based : spikes dinner is not a good food to feed - in the UK its aimed at wild hedgies not APH
AAdict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Guys, thanks for that,

I've noticed she isn't very keen on the Spikes Dinner, so I'm sticking with the Go - Cat Kitten food at the moment,but a lot of sites are saying different things, apparently the Kitten food is no good as it's to fatty, but then again another website says it's the best as it has the most nutrients.

I'm also finding the list of cat food hard to read, by high quality are we talking whiskas, iams, go cat etc?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin
Sproule17 are you from the UK? Spikes dinner is a UK hedgie food. I'm from UK aswel. I feed that to Turbo with a mix of 2 other high quality cat foods from Reapers list but to be honest my hedgie does not like Spikes Dinner, he eats the cat food first and only eats that when its the only thing left in his bowl, so when i've ran out of that box i bought i'm going to put him on just 3 mixes of cat food. I don't think its very tasty to them so i'd recommend sticking with the cat food once you've finished that box.
And yes Pipkin I'm from Scotland, got the bag in Pets at home, can you recommend a particular type cat food and what you would go about mixing it with, and most importantly how much do I give her!

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm also finding the list of cat food hard to read, by high quality are we talking whiskas, iams, go cat etc?
I'm not sure what Go Cat is like off the top of my head, but Whiskas and Iams are NOT high quality foods. Both are very poor, and I'd say Whiskas is the worst of the two.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in