store-bought "small animal" treats - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default store-bought "small animal" treats

my mom bought some treats for her hamster, but the hamster doesn't like them, so she gave them to me. They are "le bon croissants" intended for small animal consumption. I'd like to see if my hedgie would enjoy them as an occasional treat, but I wanted to get an opinion on whether they would be ok or not. Here's the packaging info...

Guaranteed Analysis:
crude protein (min) 11%
crude fat (min) 6%
crude fiber (max) 1%
moisture (max) 10%
crude ash (max) 1%

Ingredients: wheat flour, egg products, milk powder, sugar, butter, cheese, wheat germ meal, soybean oil, natural flavoring, L-calcium pantothenate, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, monosodium phosphate, sodium, metabisulfite, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, potassium chloride, sodium selenite, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B6 supplement, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (source of vitamin E)

Any info on whether or not these are ok as treats would be much appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: store-bought "small animal" treats

Majority of things made for rodents aren't suitable for hedgies. These croissants probably wouldn't be harmful, but hedgies are lactose intolerant (I see a lot of dairy in there) and there really is no benefit of feeding them. Wet cat food, baby food, insects, etc. are all good treats.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: store-bought "small animal" treats

They are empty calories. Like feeding a twinkie to a toddler. Those treats take up room in her stomach that should have nutritious food in it.

If you feel the need to feed treats (and hedgehogs don't need them), then feed healthy treats like unseasoned baked chicken, unsweetened applesauce or some diced fruit. At least those have nutrients the animal can use.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in