Allergy from Natural Balance? - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Or have "playtime" be more "exhaustedly nap on mum's lap time." Can't leave her alone too much or she'll be extra-difficult, but you can be sympathetic to her plight.

This is all so sad and frustrating! She's lucky to have such an alert caretaker paying so much attention to her, and trying to figure out what she's saying. Give yourself a high-five, or, as that's a bit physiologically difficult, a chocolate.
Lilysmommy and racheldrown like this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Very true--I should have phrased that differently! It's just that throughout the day I kept waking her up to make sure her rash wasn't spreading, and if she's in pain, I just want to give her uninterrupted sleep for a little while. That's usually what our "playtime" is like, anyhow! She is definitely a snuggler.

And thank you! I really, really appreciate all the advice. Every time I post on here I am reminded of what a wonderful community this site has.
abbys likes this.

Minnie <3

Last edited by racheldrown; 10-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.
racheldrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Okay last thing! Minnie has been coming out of her igloo and sleeping by her food bowl. I don't think it's a big deal, but she just started doing it yesterday. I keep a heating pad in there with a couple layers of fleece on top of it so it's not too hot for her to lay on, the room temperature is around 70ish, and she does it regardless of whether or not the overhead light is on. When I put her back in her cage, she comes out within two minutes to eat a couple bites, and then curls up beside it. I just thought it was odd o.O

p.s. - When I woke up this morning, her wheel was covered in poop. That's the first time she's ran on it for an entire week, so I know she must be feeling better. Plus she did not resist at all when I picked her up. Definitely more like herself, and definitely feeling better.

Minnie <3

Last edited by racheldrown; 10-05-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

1. Generally, air temperature needs to be kept 74-80F, not just the ground. From the archives, heating pads are usually for old/sick hedgehogs to give them a bit of extra warmth, and moving from the nice warm heating pad to the colder everywhere-else (or the extra-cold wheel) could trigger hibernation attempts. No fun.

2. One of Nancy's standard archive-recommendations for sick hedgehogs who aren't eating much is to move their food right next to their sleeping area. I've interpreted that as, "Sick hedgehogs are really exhausted, so make it really easy for them to eat." Maybe she's getting back her energy after fighting off all the turmoil?

YAY FOR POOP-WHEELS! It sounds so ridiculous, and yet it is SO REASSURING that things are moving back to normal. Congratulations on the return of one of your daily chores!! (and on the unresisting snuggles; that's just a nice, warm-prickly reward in itself)
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

I keep reading about potential hibernation attempts. I live in Ohio where the temperature/weather fluctuates literally every day, so I was sort of waiting it out until it stayed cold. I think it's probably time to break out the space heater!
The good thing is that throughout all these issues, her eating habits rarely fluctuated. Besides the time when we tried Natural Balance, she was always very good about getting a full meal (including this most recent episode). Maybe her coming out and sleeping by it is her way of protecting it. Like, "Mom, I like this, PLEASE stop changing my food!" haha.

Minnie <3
Old 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

And yes, poop-wheels are the single most relieving thing to see after a health scare! I am welcoming wheel cleaning and foot baths back into our routine with VERY open arms. She is snuggling on my lap as I type
Annie&Tibbers likes this.

Minnie <3

Tags
allergic, allergy, natural balance, reaction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in