New Hedgie... Need help picking out food - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking New Hedgie... Need help picking out food

Hi! I just got my hedgie a week ago. The breeder gave me a weeks worth of food, but didn't tell me what she uses. I know she had a better kind of food and then a lesser which she mixed.

So I'm looking for some help picking out the right food (theres so many different opinions out there!) And then a filler and what the ratio should be
Thanks!
muziek713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here's some good food lists here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...food-list.html and here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html The first one is mostly examples of high quality foods that fit general requirements (thought not all of them since some hedgies do alright with over 15% fat, which that list has nothing with that), and the second is more specific brands that are popular on the forum.

Filler foods are kind of a mixed opinion, I think. They used to be more recommended & talked about on the forums, and they're less so now (or at least less talked about). It probably wouldn't hurt, but I'd still make sure it's at least decent quality (one instance of corn mentioned wouldn't hurt, but make sure it still has a meat and/or meat meal for the first one or two ingredients). Pro Plan might be one or Iams (can't remember how much corn they have). I'd at least avoid Science Diet and Royal Canin - they both tend to be pretty expensive for the quality only being "decent" or "okay".

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
food, new hedgie, new hedgie owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in