New hedgehog won't poop HELP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog won't poop HELP

So I got a four month old hedgehog yesterday, he pooped twice on the way home but he hasn't pooped since, so it's been like a day and a half. The lady said he use to eat iams so I got him a kitten one and an adult one and mixed them together, he eats but not as much as I would like, he probably ate like 10-15 kibble a today, he drank lots of water yesterday but only a little bit today, I don't have a wheel for him yet but I ordered one that will come soon, I tried giving him a warm bath twice, does anyone have any idea how I can get him to poop I am very scared
Fluttershy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Some people have had success feeding their hedgehog canned pumpkin as a laxative.

If he doesn't poop overnight, take him to a vet. I'm not a hedgehog-expert, but 2 days is crazy-long between poops, especially for such a young hedgehog.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Iams is not a great food, so that might be part of it. Switching abruptly could give him diarrhea though, so consider that too. Maybe buy a higher quality food and put it in a separate dish so the hedgie can choose?

If you can get some small animal benebac (from a pet store) or acidophilus (from the grocery store) and sprinkle that on the food, that may help.

You could also get a variety of baby foods to offer and see if your hedgie likes any of them, then mix the benebac or acidophilus powder into that. Sweet potato and meat flavors are popular, my hedgehog loves peas and carrots.

Make sure he's getting water too, give it to him with an eyedropper if you think he's getting dehydrated.

If you don't see poop soon (check everywhere in the cage, they are good poop-hiders) take the hedgie to the vet, home treatments for constipation are pretty limited and he needs to keep things moving through so he can eat and grow!
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

He pooped one time today it was pretty big but half of it was green, I assume from stress, but the rest of it was normal, he won't drink now though, he hasn't had anything to drink today and barely eaten any of his kibble, is he just stressed from a new home or do you think something is wrong, oh and he peed at the same time he pooped, and I went to a few stores and they said they don't sell canned pumpkin at this time of year
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Look for pumpkin baby food, maybe? I really don't know. But he needs to eat, drink, and poop. Basic requirements for a baby hedgehog.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had this same problem when I brought my four month old hedgie home. It took her a few days to poo. I fed her non spiced pumpkin mixed with newman's own organic wet cat food. She really liked the cat food but wouldn't eat the pumpkin plain. You can find the pumpkin with the other pie fillings, I bought some about 3 weeks ago so look for the baking aisle at the grocery store and the pie filling. There should be spiced and plain, look at the ingredients it should only say pumpkin. Good Luck.
Saca523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also try putting him in a small amount of warm water, it can sometimes help them poop and do you have a wheel for him? They seem to poop well while running.
Saca523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pumpkin baby food? Sweet potato might also work.

Just wanted to check - when you say he hasn't eaten, pooped, or drank much "today" you mean during the night, right?

It's normal to pee at the same time as they poop. Half-green is also half-brown! I would assume stress until it's been a week or so.

Was his pee extremely yellow and stinky, or light yellow and only a little smelly? If you're worried about the amount he is drinking, I would put him on white/light colored liners and look for pee stains. My pig's litter liners are white fleece and it's extremely reassuring to see that yellow circle every morning.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you everyone (: and I haven't checked how much he eats/drinks while I'm sleeping so I'm doing that tonight, no stores had the pumpkin though :/ is the sweet potato canned?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

All the grocery stores near me have sweet potato baby food. You can also just buy sweet potatoes and cook them and mash them up, but more labor that way.

Hedgehogs are nocturnal, so I'm guessing unless you are too he'll mostly be eating, drinking, and moving around while you are asleep. It's best to refresh their food and water in the evening so it's fresh when they wake up (and always make sure there is enough food and water in the bowls that he always has some, even during the day, as some hedgies will wake and snack in the day). I hear that babies are more likely to wake and eat during the day, but it's rarer for hedgies to do that. Have you been leaving out food and water during the night?

Since you don't have a wheel, can you hedgie-proof a room (nothing to eat on the floor, no corners or underbed spaces to wedge themselves into, nothing they can get smushed under, nothing they can jump off of) or make a playpen for him to get some exercise at night? My hedgehog poops not just on his wheel but also when he is running around his playpen.

I'd really recommend getting Benebac or acidophilus (I got my benebac from petco, small animal powder that I sprinkle on his food, you can get acidophilus caplets from the vitamin sections of most grocery stores, pull open the capsule and sprinkle a good pinch of the powder on the kibble) just to give the beneficial intestinal bacteria some extra support. Can't hurt!

Last edited by zamxonk; 08-15-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Tags
new hedgehog, not eating, not pooing, urgent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in