New hedgehog won't poop HELP - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you for everyones help, I could not find canned pumpkin anywhere but you guys were right after getting more comfortable with me he has been pooping more (mostly during warm baths) and eating a lotttt more and drinking, his wheel should arrive Monday and I think he will be perfectly fine then, thanks again everyone!
Fluttershy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

So I have a 7 month old hedgie and he's an albino he hasn't pooped at all. I've looked all over his cage I wake up during the night to check up on him and he's healthily running on his wheel and drinking his water. But I haven't seen him eat anything other than a yogurt treat for hedgies. I'm feeding him Vita Promas hedgehog formula and he hasn't eating at all from what I can tell. His tummy is also grumbling like crazy. My boyfriends hedgehog poops all day everyday and so it worries me that my hedgie hasn't pooped at all. Is there anything I can do to stop the tummy rumbles and to get him to poop. It's been 5 days which is crazy long for a hedgehog and my parents probably won't want to take him to a vet. I need help!
Cuddlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Please start a new topic - it can get confusing when people post on old threads and your post may get ignored.

However, I have to say, if your hedgehog hasn't eaten for 5 days, you need to syringe feed him immediately. They can have serious health issues start from even a couple days of no food. Check the stickies section of the health forum, there's one on syringe feeding. I'm on mobile, can't link. He's probably not pooping because there's nothing for his body to get rid of since he's not eating.

Is the food you're offering what he was being fed? You can't switch food immediately for hedgehogs, they need the same food for a couple weeks in a new home and a slow switch over 2-4 weeks. Find out what he's used to and get that.

On the subject of food, that hedgehog food is one of the worst quality food available. There's a good reason he won't eat it - it's basically cardboard. Check out the stickies in the nutrition forum, you want a good quality cat food, preferably a mix of two or more, for his main diet. If your boyfriend's hedgehog also gets hedgehog food, that's very likely why he poops so much. There's nothing but fillers that his body can't use and gets rid of with poop.

Edit: Will your parents refuse to take him to a vet at all or just wouldn't think this is important enough? Because honestly, either way is a problem. Vet care for a hedgehog, or any animal, isn't optional, and exotic vets tend to cost more. You need to be able to get him to a vet if he needs it, whether it's for this situation or a future issue.

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 06-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
new hedgehog, not eating, not pooing, urgent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in