Hedgehog won't eat... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Hedgehog won't eat...

We have had our hedgehog about a year now. We started feeding him Innova kitten food from the beginning and he loved it. Well, since Innova had their recalls, I've been having trouble finding a food that he will eat. We do give him meal worms and he likes that. We have tried several human foods off and on since we've had him. He doesn't seem to care for any of that. Now Innova has a combo Cat/Kitten food. The kibble is larger. Even though I have crushed it up a little so it would be smaller, he won't eat it. I have bought Mizura (sp) Insectivore - won't touch it. I have tried Blue Mountain (I think that's what it's called, something "Blue") and he won't touch it. He has visibly lost weight. Today I bought another good quality kitten food from PetCo. We'll see tonight if he will eat that.
Any ideas or suggestions?? I can keep trying different brands. I don't know what else to do. I'm building up quite the selection of kitten food and we have two dogs. Blue Buffalo - that's it. I can't even mix a new food with the INNOVA because of the recall and now the change in the food they make.

Last edited by gjaskula; 08-13-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: need to add one more thing
gjaskula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

No help on food, but on making trials more economical: some pet stores will allow you to return opened bags if they're still mostly full.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, I'm not really clear from the post, so wanted to double-check - is he eating anything at all besides the mealworms? Or just those? If he's not eating anything but mealworms, he needs to be syringe-fed until you can get him eating kibble on his own again.

Agreed with Annie - check with the stores for returning. I know Petco will, at least.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You can try Royal Canin Babycat kitten food, some hedgehogs will eat that if they won't eat anything else.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds much like the problem I was in back in February. Nutmeg wasn't eating any of her foods and kept picking out foods out of my 3 food mix. It was very frustrating. I tried over 6 brands of different foods to see if she would take to any. I spent a lot of money on the bags I began to collect. It was stressing me out so much. She was losing weight and wasn't active. So I started to search around for breeders mix. Since I know many of them have more than 3 brands in them. I searched around and found Volcano View's mix. I decided to purchase some of their mix and let me tell you nutmeg has eaten every bite of her food every night. She has not lost that much weight as she did then ever again. She has been on this food since march and I can't believe the results she has had to the mix. I highly recommend purchasing some. It saves you a lot of money. I have recently gotten a new little boy who also really enjoys this mix and eats all of it every night.

Here is their website. http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/
ChubbyPuppy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in