Water question! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Water question!

Hi Hedgehog central forum people!

So hi my name is Frank and im a new owner, my beautiful hedgie is called Sid and hes 2 months old and i got him for about 48 hours and i dont know him very well plus this is my first hedgie, he eats well and poops right but his water seems untouched and i was wondering...

How much water does (or should) a hedgie drink each day?

I would love to get many replies thanks owners!
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Water question!

Welcome to HHC!

Some hedgies get understandably nervous and will go on a eating/drinking strike for a day or two in a new home. Are you offering a bowl or a bottle? If it's a bottle, was Sid drinking from one before you got him? Maybe he doesn't know how to use it. Hedgies usually prefer a water dish and will drink more from one.

Hedgies range in size and weight, which makes it hard to give an estimate of how much they should drink. As long as a little bit looks gone (and not from evaporation) he knows how to get the water and should be fine.

If he is still not drinking by tomorrow, try to syringe him water and you will probably want to go to the vet to make sure he's okay.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow that was fast! Haha well uhm Sid has a bowl and he reaches the water and everything but i dont see a big loss of water over night maybe he doesnt drink that much, hes still very small but ill keep close watch!!

Hope i can post a pic soon!

Thank you!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did the person you got him from give you any water? Water from different sources can smell differently to animals. In addition, a sudden change in source can cause GI upset, including diarrhea.

If they didn't give you any water and you don't have access to the same water they used, try using a reverse osmosis water (bottled from Walmart for about .59) and see if he'll drink that.

Hedgehogs should not have tap water.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey thanks HedgeMom

No previous owner didnt give me any water so i guess it could be that.
Reverse osmosis water Ill try that out and report back.

Many thanks!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi all,

I am also a new momma of a hedgy. I was wondering if filted water could be harmful. My filter may be a little old. He has been throwing up and I was wondering if this could be the reason. I think that I am going to go get some of that reverse osmosis water too. Is it called any thing else? like disstilled water? If he throws up again tomarow I am going to take him to the vet.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

A sudden change in water doesn't normally cause vomiting.

RO water is not the same as distilled. Look for WalMart brand filtered water and the label will say "reverse osmosis".
Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

OK HedgeMom, you should know me better by now! I want my explanation of this reverse osmosis????????????
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Reverse Osmosis is just a filtration technique. You can buy RO systems for the home or buy the water already filtered from the store.

In this area, there are local grocery stores that have Reverse Osmosis dispensers. You bring in your gallon jugs and fill them right there with freshly filtered water. I'm not fond of this because I doubt anyone really sterilizes their jugs. I like buying already filtered water.

A mechanical filter like a Brita uses gravity to drip water through a charcoal filter and usually a secondary mechanical filter. Straining the water, so to speak. Mechanical home filtration systems are very limited in what they can filter out because of the filter media pore size.

RO water is forced with high pressure through a membrane which traps much smaller particles; the pressure is allowing it to be sent through a finer filter. In addition, there is usually two or more charcoal filters to help improve taste.

A perfect RO set up has UV light for killing off microbes too small to be filtered but that's usually only seen in a medical setting.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, ok. Thats really good to know. I went to walmart and looked at the jugs and the distilled water said reverse osmosis on it. Thank you very much for the information ^_^.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in