Switching foods - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switching foods

I have a stubborn hedgie on my hands!!

I've had Barnabus on Innova since I got him in November. The food I have was not part of the recall, so we have kept him on it. Well, he was starting to get a little low on it and I figured I'd get him some new food and mix it with his old food to try and help with the transition. I got him Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. It was the best food from the list I could find at our Petco.

Anyway, I have been mixing it in his food for the last WEEK and he still just picks through the food to find his Innova and doesn't eat any of the new food. He seriously LOVES that food!! I guess my question is, since there is only a week or two worth of his Innova left, how can I get him to eat the new food?

When I got him, he was on Meow Mix and he transitioned over to Innova very easily, so I don't know what his issue is with the solid gold. Barnabus is not really big on treats, either. He will eat a few nibbles of meat baby food and will gobble up freeze dried meal worms (he will NOT touch a live mealworm for anything!), but will not eat many other treats.

I'm worried about when the Innova runs out!! If that happens, will he eat when he gets hungry? I cannot really afford to go to the store and buy a ton of foods to try out. I was hoping our petco would have small bags to get to try out, but the smallest bags are 5 lb bags!! And at $15+ a bag, that can add up!!!

Prettywoman030981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Switching foods

Did you keep the receipt? As far as I know, Petco allows you to return opened bags of food, as long as there's at least half of the food left. So you won't waste a ton of money trying to find a food he likes! You could also try crushing up the Solid Gold and toss the Innova in it to give it some of the flavor & see if he tries it that way, or vice versa. I'm not sure on any other ideas...I didn't have too much trouble with switching Lily's foods. Hopefully some others will come up with more suggestions.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

No, I didn't keep the receipt. Wish I had!! I'm going to attempt to see if he'll eat what he has in his bowl tonight. He has like 3 pieces of Innova left in the bowl and the rest is the solid gold. If that doesn't work, I'll try to crunch it up some.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had sonic on Innova after the recall I took it out and switched it to authority in his mix. he gets 3 different foods. If a hedgie is hungry they will eat whats there. thats what Sprinkles does when she eats all her purina out of her bowl. so she only has the the 3 kibbles in her bowl.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, Barnabus finally ate the solid gold last night. I just didn't give him anymore Innova and he pigged out after going one night with only eating the few pieces of Innova that I left in his bowl. I'm going to just not give him anymore Innova now. I'm relieved that he ate!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am going through the same thing. Switching from Purina Kitten Chow to Solid gold and Peas and Duck. She picked through it and only ate about two pieces each of the new ones. I have to get her off the Kitten chow though as I found out it is not a good food.
unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in