Changing Sonic's Diet - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Changing Sonic's Diet

When I first got Sonic (almost a week ago) the person I got him from had recommended hedgehog food, which is what they were feeding him. I'm trying to switch him over to Blue Buffalo at the moment. I gave him mostly hedgehog food with about half a tablespoon of the BB. When he woke up this evening he went straight for the new kibble and was enjoying it quite well. After he ate that he dumped the rest of the food out onto the fleece liner and walked away from it. I know I'm supposed to gradually introduce new foods but he doesn't seem to want to touch the old food anymore. What should I do? Also is the Blue Buffalo kibble a good size or might there be a risk of Sonic choking on a piece?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Changing Sonic's Diet

I had this exact same problem with Cinna. When I first got him he was also on hedgehog food. When I switched to Blue Buffalo, he wouldn't touch the old food and would actually dump his bowl out and move it to another place. I just switched to the Blue Buffalo and he did not have any problems. With being exposed to a healthier diet, he may not want the old food because it doesn't taste nearly as good.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnasParents
With being exposed to a healthier diet, he may not want the old food because it doesn't taste nearly as good.
Thanks so much. I'm happy that I no longer have to feed my hedgehog bad food. Both you and me have very smart hedgies

Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The only thing that may happen from it is a bit of green poop from the stress to his GI tract, but that's not bad and it'll clear up in a few days. Since he's switching himself quickly, it's fine! Glad he loves his new food! Also, depending on the kibble shape and size, some cat food is more prone to having hedgies choke on it. If you're concerned, or it seems like he struggles to crunch up the pieces, you could always crush them up before feeding. A lot of people have started doing this more recently. They use either a rolling pin/hammer/etc. to smash them up in a plastic bag, or a coffee mill/grinder, I think.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
If you're concerned, or it seems like he struggles to crunch up the pieces, you could always crush them up before feeding.
I think I will crush his food. When he eats he does flinch a lot that part concerns me. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in