Yet again we have another food problem - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yet again we have another food problem

Nutmeg is again picking out her food. Nutmeg started on a mix of three different foods a few months ago. She started on Innova low fat adult cat food, Blue buffalo for mature cats and Natural balance green pea and duck formula. She picked out the innova cat food about a month or two ago. She wouldn't touch it any longer. She is now picking out the natural balance, and only eating the blue buffalo. I'm completely stuck, I don't know what brand to try to add. I want her on a mixture of at least 3 foods. And even more a challenging on finding the brands as my local pet stores don't carry much.

I would love to find a breeders mix but ones I have found carry Innova that I know she won't touch.

If you know of a breeder who sales their mix and doesn't use Innova or you know of some good brands for hedgehogs that are smaller in size I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Yet again we have another food problem

Sophie is a preference eater. She eats what she likes most first, and that is all she will eat until it is gone. Then and only then will she move on to her second choice. She's pretty good about liking most things, but will only eat in order of preference.

I had her on three kibbles, but that just wasn't practical. I cut her down to two kibbles and ration the food that she likes most so that she will have to move on to her second choice, and she pretty much winds up getting about 50/50 of each kibble, but only getting free feed of her second choice.

If you have a preference eater, it is unlikely that any blend will work out for you without a rationing system.

.................................................. ...........

The rationing technique works well for Sophie. The only time that we had a problem was when she wasn't eating enough and losing weight was an issue. For that I had to cheat a bit by giving her a small amount of chicken or turkey baby food, grinding a bit of special high-fat, high-protein kibble, and mixing it into the baby food. She wouldn't eat it, so we had to sneak it in into her.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I ration her food already, but she isn't picking up the the natural balance. She won't eat them so when the blue buffalo is gone she won't eat natural balance. Should I just keep her on one food? Or keep trying with the two food mix? Or change it?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just a thought with the natural balance...I fed that too Fiona too (who wasnt too picky) but I noticed she ALWAYS left it behind. I had no idea until I picked one up one day and realized how incredibly difficult it is to break with my own bare hands...let alone her little teeth. Have you tried breaking it into smaller pieces? It could be too hard so she just leaves it behind.

Rest easy little girl, may you finally be at peace <3
Mommy will always love you sweetie
2/17/11-3/11/13
fionas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

As suggested by fionas_mommy, you might try splitting the Natural Balance. I split one of Sophie's foods because it is quite hard. She did eat it before that, but I think it is a nice help. It is her free feed kibble and she eats a fair bit of it.

I could be that she just doesn't like it all that much. It happens. Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck Formula was Sophie's third choice kibble when she was a baby, so got dropped.

It could also be that she is filling up more than you think on the ration of the first food and can 'afford' to ignore the NB.

Two kibbles are a good idea because there are so many food recalls. I have had two foods recalled in just a year-and-a-half. A very few plants process dozens of foods each. Both recalls included many, many brands and blends.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alright thank you both, I will try to see if she will eat it once I cut it up a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in