Sick or just being picky? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick or just being picky?

I'm a new hedgie mommy, so naturally Im paranoid about absolutely everything. My little girl is a little over 2 months old and up until recently she's been very good about eating. Every night around 10pm I give her a handful of dry kibble, then every other night I will give her 3-5 large mealworms. I will even let her hunt half a dozen crickets once a week. Up until about a week ago she was very good about eating. When I would wake up all of her food would be gone. Recently I've noticed that she hasn't been eating near as much of her kibble as she used to. However when I feed her mealworms she will gobble them up immediately. I haven't changed the food I've been feeding her at all. I also noticed that she hasn't been pooping as frequently either. I thought she might be constipated, so I gave her a warm bath and she pooped immediately. I just tried hand feeding her some pumpkin. She ate a little then lost interest. I just created a little mash for her made of pumpkin, kibble, and mealworms. She's still drinking plenty of water and she's very active. So is she sick or just holding out for the good stuff? Thanks!
Kamikazeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sick or just being picky?

Is she having normal stool overnight on the nights you are giving her mealworms? If they are softer she may have a slight upset from how many you are giving causing her not to eat as much the following night. ( my Emma did a similar thing when I initially got her as well, found giving her 1 to 2 mealworms every 2 to 3 nights was her "magic" number, but every hedgie is different ). Also have you noticed if she is quilling yet? Emma became a little picky with her food when she was quilling. I would maybe just offer her kibble and no treats for a couple nights to see if her appetite increases at all. Goodluck, and let us know how she does
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

The only difference in her poop is that it's slightly smaller than normal. But I will go ahead and cut back on the treats. And yes, she has been quilling. I still can't quite tell if she's finished or not. Ill still find tiny little quills on occasion when I play with her. Thanks for the advice! :]

Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good news! :] I gave Sega a much bigger water bottle and now she seems to be eating better. I guess she was dehydrated. I filled her bottle up every day, but I guess that wasn't enough. I've also held back on her treats too. Now the kibble bowl is empty every morning! ^_^
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have you tried a water bowl? Hedgehogs can become dehydrated from water bottles since it's harder from them to get water from it. You might want to consider putting a water bowl in her cage as well, under the bottle & see if she drinks more from the bowl. Also, if there's no weight issues, you can increase food so that there's a little left over in the mornings - most people do this, free-feeding, to make sure their hedgehog is getting enough to eat. Most hedgehogs (but not all) will not overeat.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in