thinking of adding another food to the mix - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default thinking of adding another food to the mix

I am thinking of adding another food to the mix I feed Sonic. right now he is on Innova Senior cat food and Simply Nurrish Indoor cat food(turkey & oatmeal flavor). The total protein is 35% and the fat is 11%. I am wanting to add more neutrition to his diet. I give him mealies every other day. I do not have any foods in mind to add to the mix I was am just wanting to add more neutrition to his diet. please give your suggestions with what store to get the food, the price of the food and the fat and protien %'s.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: thinking of adding another food to the mix

I really liked both Natural Balance and Solid Gold. Natural Balance has a formula with duck as the main meat and Solid Gold uses lamb, so they make good foods to get different protein sources in. Not sure what all stores have them, but I think Petco does - you can check their site to be sure. Pet Supplies Plus has both as well, but I know they're not a widespread store.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

what flavors and what is the protein and fat percents?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You can check a pet store website like PetCo or use Google to find the brand websites and check.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you for the suggestions. those two are a little out of my price range. I can see myself spending close $15 for a small bag.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was thinking of adding this:

BLUE Wilderness Grain Free Duck Cats Food

Ingredients

Deboned Duck, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Fish Meal(natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Peas, Whole Potatoes, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 40.0% min Crude Fat 18.0% min

Simply Nourish Adult Chicken & Rice Cat Food
INGREDIENTS:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Oatmeal, Dried Chicory Root, Flaxseed, Dried Cranberries, Dried Carrots, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, L-ascorbyl-polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Taurine.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein Not less than 36.0%
Crude Fat Not less than 16.0%
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would go with the second one, the Simply Nourish. The protein and fat are both a bit high on the Blue Wilderness one, especially if he's at a good weight and doesn't need to keep it on or gain more. Blue Buffalo (the brand behind Blue Wilderness) is a great brand and has other options though, so if you can find that brand in a store near you, I'd check into some of the other foods in that line for something with a bit lower protein/fat.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

when I weighted Sonic he was 449 grams. I am not sure if that is a good weight for a 2 1/2 year old hedgie. Is that a good weight for him?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's less about the weight and more about his overall size and body shape. If his shape is like a tear drop, or a bit round, like ( ), he's a normal hedgie and probably doesn't need more than 10-12% fat. If he has a thinner frame, so that his sides are straight like | | or if they're caved in like ) (, then he's probably more of a runner body type and he could use extra fat. I'm going to guess he's normal shape, since it's usually pretty easy to tell a runner type, so he probably doesn't need that much fat.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just weighted him he is 455.6 grams now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in