Chicken Soup for the Soul potentially problematic ingredients? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chicken Soup for the Soul potentially problematic ingredients?

Hi everyone,

I recently rescued/adopted a hedgie, and I want to get him off the "hedgehog food" his previous owners were giving him. After seeing Chicken Soup for the Soul recommended by a number of websites and people in this forum, I would like to include the Weight and Mature Care in his mix. However, I've also been reading that tomato and powdered cellulose are not good ingredients for hedgehogs, and both are ingredients in Chicken Soup for the Soul.

I keep seeing this food recommended anyway, so did the formula change or something? Is it okay to give my hedgie this food? (It's not like I'm giving him a whole piece of tomato, and the powdered cellulose is after the first fat). I'm not so concerned about the peas and potatoes, as it would be part of a mix and they aren't in such high amounts as most other foods.

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, brown rice, peas, faba beans, cracked pearled barley, tomato pomace, natural flavor, potato protein, turkey, duck, salmon, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), powdered cellulose, sodium bisulfate, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, salt, taurine, mixed tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative), dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flakes, vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, ferrous sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, copper proteinate, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, folic acid, cobalt carbonate, inositol, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in