Food mix help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food mix help

Hi,

I need to pick your brains again please.

I have discovered that two of the biscuits in my current mix have changed ingredients so the protein and fat contents has changed.

This is a problem as you may remember Holly is on a diet and doesn’t exercise a lot so I’m am concerned that the higher fat/lower protein will ruin our progress.

I still have plenty of her current mix left but am trying to allow time to ensure I have a good mix and enable time to introduce new foods as she can be fussy.

Our current mix is:
80% applaws senior
10% JWB Indoor
10% JWB Housecat

35.1% protein and 16.1% fat

I am looking at one of the following options and would like option on which combination is better. As I have made the mistake in the past where I went so low with fat it out the carb intake to high.

Option 1
80% Carnilove Turkey and boar (70% animal protein)
10% Vets Kitchen Chicken (80% animal protein)
10% Wellness core chicken and Turkey (58% animal protein)

39% protein and 13.8% fat

Option 2
80% Vets kitchen
10% Carnilove
10% Wellness care

39.7 % protein 13.1 % fat

Or are neither option good?

Thanks
Hollys helper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

I'm concerned about the protein content. Going from 35 to 39% would be considered very high, and above what many would be comfortable with. Can you get your hands on AATU at all? It has a high animal protein content (85%), but is only 34% protein - so, it will drop your protein levels while not having any negative affect on the overall animal protein % of her mix.

How is her diet going, by the way? How much do you feed her now/how much does she weigh?
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry for the delay it’s been manic.

Yes AATU is available so I could use that. Would that be instead of the Carnilove? Or can I replace one of the others?

She tried the Carnilove last night and loved it surprisingly as she didn’t touch it when we first got her.

The diet has been going quite well but we seem to be stuck between 565 and 575g over the past few weeks. But it has been an unsettling few weeks for her as we had work done on the house and she had to stay somewhere else so had a few extras. Fingers crossed it starts reducing again and that a change in diet will assist.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

I would swap the carnilove in option 1 for AATU if you can get it, yes. I mean you can stick with what you have if you'd prefer, just be aware that 39% is on the very, very high end for protein. Most wouldnt go over 35% however, some do 38%. Ultimately it's personal preference. If it was me, I'd lower it.

If shes stuck between 565 & 575g, we can start dropping her food instake again. Ultimately, you want her eating around 6-8g of kibble. But, we cant make that sudden change overnight or she will drop weight too fast. How many g's of kibble do you feed?
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

I dont think even using aatu will lower the protein by much.
If using the sterlised wellness core (assuming so as its got a lower fat) is 38%

So your taking 3 really high protein foods it doesnt really matter how you mix that your still going to get a really high protein mix.

Vets kitchen is 40% protein
Wellness core is 38%
Carnilove - I cant find a turkey and boar? Theres duck and turkey 37% protein 18% fat, or lamb and wild boar 39% protein 14% fat?
Aatu is 34% protein

No matter which 3 of those you use, the protein will come out really high.
You need something lower in the protein to balance them.

Like arden grange is 50% animal protein, 30% protine and 11% fat.
Burns chicken and brown rice - whilst not the best food out there mixed with those two it would be find, its 40% animal protein, 28% protein, 12% fat

If you can get either of those I would swap them for the wellness core because the protein is really different but they still have lower animal protein and fat like the wellness core.

And then aatu instead of the carnilove as that gives you a lower protein, then you only have one really high protein which is the vets kitchen.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

I’ll have a look and see what’s available and check back in.

Thank you for your help as always
Old 02-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

I’ve just realised that I missed some of your replies as my phone hadn’t loaded the page properly.

We’re currently giving 6g of kibble a night.
We alternate each day 2g mince and 2g fruit/veg so daily total of food is 8g. She has 10 bugs with mince and 15 bugs with fruit/veg.

We give crickets, locusts, silk worms, calci worms, Dubai roaches. She has 4 mealworms and 2 morio worms a week (included in total bugs not as extra). We only give extras if we need to trim nails or bath her as she hates both of those events.

Her exercise is a little better, she does 6-6.5 miles a week now.

I will have a play with her foods with the ones you have recommend and maybe do a mix of 4?

I only had 3 in the mix with one being 80% of the mix because it made the new mix a straight swap.

I would like her to be on the best diet and am happy to look at options if the one i suggested is to high protein.

As always I am open to your opinions and help and you are far more experienced!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Carnilove is lamb and wild boar. Don’t know where Turkey came from.

She has had a few of those this week and is actually eating them without drama (she wouldn’t eat them a year ago) so I might keep a small amount in the mix for her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in