Hedgehog not eating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog not eating

My hedgehog has always been eating and drinking well without any problems. But i remember when a few months back i went on holiday for three days, so i left a larger bowl of food and water for my hedgehog. When i came back, the food and water was barely touched. the day after that, my hedgehog was eating again.
Now I’m currently on my 5th day of my long holiday. i asked my uncle to come in every two days to refill the food and water but he told me that my hedgehog isn’t eating?
Should i be worried? Is this normal behaviour? What should I do cuz i’ll be on holiday for another 8 days (
hedgiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is he in a new place? New smells? Maybe he is just stressed out because you are not there. I am not sure but I would say just try to have your uncle give him treats and if he doesn't eat them just ask him to try and keep his schedule as normal as possible. If he gets hungry, he will eat. Good luck!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

If he isnt eating your uncle will need to syringe feed him to make him eat.

They can and will starve themselves.

In future have you uncle come over and visit and get him to bond a little bit with your hog this way when you get him to look after your hog while you are away it might not be as bad. Also keep smells of you in with your hog to keep them more relaxed.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

Some hedgehogs eat so little that if you offer a full bowl of kibble, you won’t notice a difference - are you sure that’s not the case?

If he’s not eating, then your uncle needs to bring him to the vet. Check his teeth, and make sure there’s nothing there that’s causing the issue (inflamed gums, broken teeth). Be very careful with syringe feeding; if he’s not eating, he’ll only get weaker - and a sick animal is at risk of aspirating food into their lungs, and you will be looking at a whole array of problems then. Make sure your uncle takes it slow, and doesn’t rush things.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

My hedgehog isn’t in a new place at all. it’s just that he isn’t eating his food for some reason when i’m not around. i’m guessing it’s because of schedule changes.
i have another problem, though. my uncle is extremely terrified of my hedgehog and refuses to touch it &#x1f636;
i will ask my uncle to feed him treats, or if not, put it in my hedgehog’s bowl and see if he eats it
Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

thank you for all the replies. i will update as soon as possible !
very grateful
Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Tell him to use leather gloves to pick up you guy. Okay its not hands but the gloves will protect your uncles hands from spikes and bites, if your hog was to bite him it wont really hurt. This may help your uncle.

See if putting less about half a bowl instead of a full bowl and then see if anything even a few bits are gone. Might help determine if he is actually eating just so little its not as noticable.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

hello everyone
my uncle said that my hedgie is now eating as normal, but is drinking very little water.
is there any way i can get my hedgehog to drink more? usually i’ll refill his bottle until it’s full every two days. But now my hedge finishes the bottle in four days.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Bottles are not good for them. They are dangerous because its not natural for hogs, so they cant always get water properly either.
Really you want a bowl.
Drinking less water could be down to anything and you cant really change how much they want to drink. Though could be a problem getting water out the bottle as well.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

If he has been on a bottle for his whole life, try putting a small bowl of water under it and leave both of them there so he can get used to the bowl. The bowl is more inconvenient, as you have to take it out, wash it, and refill it every night, but it is better for them. Since you cannot do that until he gets back, leave him on the bottle until you are back so he is not scared of any more sudden and unexpected changes. Try having your uncle just sit in the same room as him and talk, this will get your hedgie used to his voice and more comfortable with him. Good luck!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in