Hedgehog Formula - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog Formula

Hi, I have a 5 month old hedgie named Oliver. I currently have him on a hedgehog diet. Currently he has been losing alot of quills but he has no bald spots. Just notice the quills on his fleece. I saw somewhere that this could be due to bad nutrition. He also poops alot which I am worried about because I think that means his food isnt very nutritious. I was wondering what are some good or bad ingredients to keep my eyes on in hedgehog formula or even cat formula. I want to make sure he is eating well! I have him on meal worms as a treat and he loves them, are there any other treats I should try to give him?
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

At 5 months old the quill loss is quite possibly him quilling.

Nonetheless, hedgehog food is not recommended for hedgehogs. Its difficult to recommend a cat food brand, because everyone has access to different ones, but luckily there is a thread with a bunch for you to choose from here. There are also lists here and here that will guide you on what ingredients to look out for and why.

Hedgehogs are insectivores and in addition to high quality cat food, they need a variety of insects in their diet - not just mealworms. I recommend looking at this list too; insects should be incorporated as part of their daily diet, and not just fed as treats.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

HE is just quilling, as all hedgehogs do at a younger age. And hedgehog food is not the best for them. I use BLue Buffalo
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Has anyone else tried the new hedgehog food from Hedgehogs and friends ? I tried the free sample and my girl seemed to really like it. The stated values look pretty good as does the ingredint list. I'm thinking about getting a bag when her bags of cat food run out.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Emc

I've never even heard of it, but I looked it up and I'm shook that it's a food marketed for hogs with actual decent ingredients haha.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

The only thing I question is the salt level..
There is 4 salts listed next to each other..

Sodium bisulfate - Sodium bisulfate is a food additive with E number E222. This salt of bisulfate can be prepared by bubbling sulfur dioxide in a solution of sodium carbonate in water. So its basically a type of salt

Salt

Potassium chloride - Potassium chloride is a metal halide salt composed of potassium and chlorine. Basically a type of salt.

Chlorine chloride - It is bifunctional, containing both quaternary ammonium salt and an alcohol. The cation is*choline, which occurs naturally. It is a white, water-soluble salt used mainly in animal feed. So basically another salt.

I know they are low down on the list so will be small amounts, but it still seems like a fair bit of salt to me. They also have a fair few ingredients after them to.

I know a lot of companies use salt in their products as its a good preservative to add to make the biscuit last longer, but out of all the ones I've seen I have not seen so many different salts right next to each other in a food.
Most tend to have one or two and its not common they are right next to each other.

Maybe I'm wrong - I am no expert in it, but to me this does seem like theres a lot of salt listed...
Alright different types, but it's still all salt in the end..

Or is just the way I see it?

Last edited by Ria; 12-06-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Emc

There's a couple of brands (i.e blue buffalo) that have the same 3-4 forms of added salt (cant remember off the top of my head; but its at least three). Usually the max I see in cat food is 1 or 2, but I dont think having the four forms would make it unsuitable. I'm not sure why the need for all the salt, though. The ingredients list does look quite long; the additives are quite extensive.

I dont think i'd class it as a 'bad' food per say, but personally I'm more comfortable sticking to cat food with a more concise ingredients list - but that's just me.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

So am I. I've only heard of blue buffalo from this thread and have never looked up the ingredients.

I dont think it will cause harm, especially as biscuit isnt their main of diet so they eat a pretty small amount most the time, but I dont understand why they need that much salt in the food.
I wouldn't use either it its too long for mw too and I like sticking to having 1-2 lots of salt being used in like the last 5-6 ingredients.

But out of all hedgehog foods, I will agree its pretty decant. And its useable for anyone who wanted to use it.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

It may be that the different types of salt are used in the base ingrediants (which must be listed in the complete feed list) as preservatives. As long as the total amount of salt in the complete ration is proper it does not matter how many source the salt comes . Its the same as protien sources ,most of the time it is better if several ingrediants provide the total. Every night I would put 10 pieces in her treat bowl and they would be gone by morning so it passed the taste test.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

Its that amount of sources plus the amount of each percentage they have of each salt - which we dont know as its not listed. Too much salt regardless of how many types you have, is bad for their health.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in