Christmas - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2019, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ria

So last year Holly got a little, special christmas dinner, but I still gave her the biscuit because this was before her diet and I wasnt as concerned about how much she ate because it wasnt until February I finally decided she way way to over weight.

Anyway, so this year I'm going to be doing a mini christmas dinner for the dogs and just reduce their biscuit a little. I was wondering if I gave Holly a bit more meat and veg than normal would I be able to just not give biscuit for that one day or would it be better to half the biscuit, its just to make sure she doesnt pig out as she is overweight and on a diet.

The only reason I ask is because some people say taking the biscuit out for a day can make them think you are replacing the biscuit, and cause problems like mot eating it anymore and I don't want that. Because I want her eating a bit of biscuit.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

It's one day of the year, so I wouldnt think too much about it if I'm being perfectly honest. The cases where they think you're replacing kibble must be incredibly rare, and wouldnt be the norm.

In any case; I have no hands on experience in dealing with an overweight hedgehog, but I cant see how just giving her a little extra meat for just one day would have any repercussions for her diet.

I say; feed them what you want (so long as its safe) for Christmas. One day of spoiling never killed anyone.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

True, if everything goes as planned she will be getting more activity anyway.
Its just I I dont want her to over eat with the amount of activity she has right now.

My worry isnt to do with the extra meat. Its more the not balancing the biscuit and over eating!

Old 11-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

Even if she were to overeat for that one day, it won’t have any ill effect on her diet overall. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much!

Coco isn’t overweight, but every Christmas she just gets her regular meal + her Christmas treat. Even if you were to do the same with Holly, it’s not going to revert all the progress you’ve made. But That’s just my two cents!
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

All the work of the last few months I dont want to go backwards ya know. Just need to make sure haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in