Holly's diet - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think you are being way too worried about the little things with this hedgehog. Hedgehogs only need to be eating a good quality cat kibble. You have it broken down so much you are making it way harder than it should be. You fiasco with the pee color was a little over the top as well. Are you OCD by any chance? I tend to have a bit of it as well on occasion, so I can understand that. The hog is definitely overweight. Change to a low fat high quality kibble and limit to 1-2 tablespoons a night.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Emc

I pity a hedgehog fed solely a dry cat kibble; that is not the most appropriate way to feed them. They are insectivores, and need variety in their diet - and a variety of insects is especially a must.

I'm not here to speculate on someone's mental health, but it is perfectly normal (and expected) to be specific with your hedgehogs dietary details if you are asking for advice/opinions as to whether your hog is overweight. If Ria had just said that Holly gets kibble and insects daily, and twice a week gets come cooked meat, once a week got scrambled eggs, and every other week got some wet food I would have asked how much she gave her to see if there was a connection. She weighs out her food, because Holly is overweight and has been obese.

Worrying about a hedgehogs urine suddenly changing colour is also completely normal. Maybe not for you, but for many it is.

Pardon, but I frankly dont find how your post is helpful, and to be honest, it comes across as incredibly rude and without any consideration for the OP. Calling someone's concern for their pets wellbeing a "fiasco" on a forum that is for asking questions is just about the most ridiculous thing ive read today, probably alongside one claiming to 'have a little bit of OCD on occasion' - an often debilitating mental health condition, that one doesn't just 'have a little bit of on occasion' not to mention the sheer ignorance it must take to so blatantly ask someone on a forum, who you dont know, if they have a mental illness.

Perhaps read your post, twice, or maybe three or four times, and then put yourself at the receiving end, before posting it.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ria

The nose doesn't touch the sides, I think its where she stretches out in photos it looks like it does, because I was sitting in front of her and her nose definitely didn't touch, but in the photo even to me it looks like the nose is touching the sides.

When I first got her she already had a bit of extra fat on limbs (which is why I thought she was okay now until the vet said something). She has always built up weight so fast and never stable out. So to have it stable - although she is still overweight - is a brilliant thing to me.
The breeder had another older hog only a couple month older not that much older but they were only just not totally obese - I only really know that now because of the information I now know.
Holly was 500g by the time she was 4 months, and she looked a bit overweight, but I think she may have been a bit young to already be that high which is why she looked a bit overweight. But maybe not I don't really know enough.

Her cage is all lose bedding, I use dust extracted animal safe shredded cardboard, I hide her insects around it. Theres no room with her litter tary with wheel in, two hides, and bridge (that she also likes going under as well as over) to fit another tray for foraging anything. Its not that the viv is small, but the litter tray is fairly big, and the hides are fairly big too, I'd have to to lose a hide to get another tray in, and Holly likes having her two hides, probably more than she would like a foraging tray especially as she forage through the whole viv.
I dont really want to have her biscuit all over the viv though as it means I can get rid of it as easy and then it sits in the viv for a week, I dont really have the time to change her whole viv more than once a week, it takes me an hour.

The exercise I'm working on really hard.
I have a small space not a lot bigger probably only just bigger than her viv in my room which I could try blocking off areas and getting her used to it slowly.
We also go away over new year for a week and they have LOADS more space in the room I'm staying in, that they said I can set up the play pen permanently for the stay which will be able to be a lot bigger (though she will be in a zoozone 2 which is smaller than her viv) but she did fine last year running around their floor (I think she likes it because its heated and not cold like ours) so it wont be much different except that it will be enclosed and safer this time where it wasn't last time.
Then in the new year when we get back my mum has promised to help me move bits around so that I have more floor space I can permanently set up a nice play area for her which will be bigger than the viv as big as I can get it without it getting in the way. And then I'm going to make sure my room is warm enough for her all the time, and get a thermometer at ground level to monitor the play pen temps to make sure its 25-26 where she likes it.
I'm also going to do some pleading and maybe begging (depending how far I get) to my mum to see if I can use the hallway if I cover it so Holly can't do anything on the carpet - she is also pretty good at only going in her litter but my mum doesn't believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
I think you are being way too worried about the little things with this hedgehog. Hedgehogs only need to be eating a good quality cat kibble. You have it broken down so much you are making it way harder than it should be. You fiasco with the pee color was a little over the top as well. Are you OCD by any chance? I tend to have a bit of it as well on occasion, so I can understand that. The hog is definitely overweight. Change to a low fat high quality kibble and limit to 1-2 tablespoons a night.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk
You don't even know me. Its not your place nor is it even be your business to ask me if I'm OCD. I didnt come on here to asked about a mental health issue. I came on for more help with my hedgehog.

As EMC has said Hedgehogs are insectivores and their sole diet should never be biscuit, ever! The need a verity of insects and a verity of other foods.

I weigh the biscuit for a reason. 1-2 tablespoons (which weighed in at 20g and actually found out she was eating like 14-17g of biscuit and wasn't even - still isn't- active enough to eat that much biscuit), of a low fat (11%) with loads of carbs (because basically all low fat foods contain loads of carbs high quality or not) biscuit mix, and low fat 14 insects daily, when she got obese in the first place.

This current diet I mentioned at the start, is what got her to loose that 100g in 6 months, and got her stabled alright still over weight but its the first time in her life her weight has ever been stable! I want to go forwards, get her to a better weight so she isn't overweight anymore.

So changing back to what she was on in the first place (changing to what you said) is just going backwards and will only end up with her being obese again, and I don't want that.

I have not broken it down to be way harder that it is. I only put the weights of things because I know they are important if I'm going to ask for help with the diet, people need to know who much and of what your giving/they are eating to be able to help you with it.
As EMC said if I hadn't put them she would have asked for them anyway.

"You fiasco with the pee color was a little over the top as well" - maybe its over the top to you, but a sudden change in urine is not normal! It never will be. I have seen loads of owners worry about a change in urine colour. Its a normal thing. People tend to worry more when theres blood, there is no blood in hers which helps me not worry as much.
Sure okay it might be nothing. But even the vet said it seems a bit weird for it to be normal pigment changes as its never happened before in her whole life and has suddenly started to keep changing, she said its far better to have it checked than just assume its nothing.
The vet also found it helpful that I break down what she eats and know how much she is eating because it helps to see if it is a diet related problem.
I would rather have it checked and know its nothing than ignore it. I keep a log of it because again it helps the vet.
The fact that the vet mentioned her weight and said that urine colour changes like she has can be linked to being overweight obviously she wanted me to see it but It took a few days to actually think it over a lot before I had to ask because it was bugging me.

Nothing you said was helpful, and I actually found it a bit rude.
I didn't have to explain anything to you but I did, because if your going to judge me, then I'm going to set your facts straight.

I did not come here to be judged, asked about a mental health issue, told I'm over worrying and being over the top about my pets health and weight, by someone who doesn't even know me. I came for help. If I wanted to be judged I would have gone to a facebook group!

I think you need to re read and think more before you post something. If you can't be nice or helpful then don't say anything at all.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

I’d like to apologize, I didn’t mean for the post to be demeaning, was just trying to help, but I see how it looks like the opposite. I tried to edit and delete, but I was unable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
I’d like to apologize, I didn’t mean for the post to be demeaning, was just trying to help, but I see how it looks like the opposite. I tried to edit and delete, but I was unable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Its okay
Just for you to know, you cant edit them after like 10 mins of posting and you cant delete them at all - only admin can and they dont tend to.
Thats why its important to be very careful about how you word things on here because once its there its there and you cant change that.
Not in a mean, I do it all the time, always read what you type again and then think about what it look like if you was on the receiving end of it and how it can come across to others before you post it so you have the chance to re word it and make it come across better.
nikki likes this.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ria

Holly is a little nightmare!

So the last week she has taken to eating all 10g of food AND whatever added alternatives I give! AND she has been less active!
She was doing so well too!

The 1st December she was 600g
The 8th December was 588g
That was a great a nice healthy 12g drop - she had a bit more exercise and was eating her normal amount!
Tonight the 16th December she weighed in at 608g thats a 20g gain from last week!

Every day this week she has eaten 8-10g of her biscuit, plus the 5g of meat both days. She didn't have her egg like normal as I didn't realise I had non left. But maybe its a good thing she missed it this week.

I feel like I'm going round in circles!

Anyway so this was just to vent about it so people you can ignore it haha.
I sorted it just really needed somewhere to vent its all good I think.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ria

Update on Holly for anyone who cares

So my plan after her eating way more! Was to reduce her biscuit to 8g and leave everything else the same.
By changing the amount I give because I work the percentages out based on the amount I feed its changed all that too
So the mix is now 34.8% Protein, 12.5% fat and 63% animal protein.

So I changed it on Monday 17th December.
So that week she had 8g of biscuit daily, her 14 insects, the two days of 5-6g of her meat and meat with veg plus her 6-7g of egg and 7g wet food
I then weighed her on the Sunday 22 December and she was 585g

Then the next week, she had her 8g every day except the 25th, on the 25th she had 19g of christmas dinner (mostly meat with a little veg) and I cut out the other extras because she was doing well with her weight! She also had her normal 14 insects.
So I weighed her on the Sunday 29th December she was 593g

From the night of the 27th to the morning of the 3rd we was away.
Her heating was up higher than normal the first night and she ran 2 hours, normally the max she runs is 1 hour.
From the night of the 26th to the night of the 2nd she had an hour and half to 2 hours out in a play pen as well as all her running.

So from the Sunday I weighed she had her 8g biscuit mix, 14 insects daily, her normal 5-6g or meat and meat with veg, 7g wet food and 6-7g egg.
I weighed her on sunday the 5th January and she weighed 575g!

So when we got home I upped her enclosure temp to keep her activity up, she has only had 1 hour of running around in her playpen because that's all I can give her at the moment. But I'm hoping its working to keep this weight at a good rate!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in