Right amount of food? - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Thank you for explaining that, it makes sense now.
Hollys helper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

I thought I’d give an update on Holly’s progress and maybe get some reassurance I am doing the right thing.

We have just entered the second week of food transition so from yesterday I am giving 4g Applaws senior and 6g James Wellbeloved mix. I haven’t made any changes to meat, veg, fruit or insects.

Holly seems to be hungrier than ever and now gets up several times a day looking for food.

She weighed in tonight at 602g. 8g more than last week.

She has probably done 5-6 miles this week, the sensor didn’t work one night so I don’t have accurate figures this week.

I’ve also noticed her pop has become very smelly since the new food and I’m having to clean the wheel twice a day.

Here routine is as follows;

About 6.30am I put in approx 12 kibbles so there is food available throughout the day. It is usually eaten by lunchtime.

About 6.30pm before lights out I put in half the remaining kibble and any fruit or veg she is having that day. This is eaten by 8:30pm and she starts heading to bed so we get her up. All her wheeling is done during this period.

I put the remaining kibble in about 9.30-10pm and insects after having her out. She immediately eats the insects then goes to bed until the early hours, the kibble is eaten by about 4am. She will wheel a very small about over night just to go to the toilet.

Should I stop putting in a few bits of kibble in the morning hoping she stops getting up? Should I give all the kibble in one go and once it’s gone it’s gone? Do I carry on as I am? I really don’t know.

I’m concerned at the weight gain and that there is no progress yet, I’m aware I may need to be a little more patient and that I’m probably over thinking it but I just want her to be happy and healthy!

Is there something else I should be doing?

Sorry for the rant/melt down, I feel like a terrible hog mum tonight.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ria

My Holly's weight went up a bit before coming down, they just need to adjust to the diet. It will get better once you made more of the changes.

As for the smelly poo that could be from the change I'd give it a week or so to settle.

I would split the food to half. So you give half in the morning and half in the evening once its gone then its gone. I think for now splitting it will be better for her since you can get her to be active between giving the fruit/veg/meat and the insects and biscuit.

I would also make up a little dig box to make her work for some of the food maybe the meat/fruit/veg will be best to do that.
You could do it with some of the dry food in the evening too if you wanted to keep the way you split giving it.
It just makes them a little more active but using food to do so.

Dont stress because your doing well. And she's not too overweight at the moment! You're actively doing something in good time.
Keep going with the changes perhaps leave the dry food as it is for now and then decrease some of the extras to even it a little. Then go from there.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Emc

Keep doing what you're doing; if you want to feed her in portions, feed her in portions. Feeding their kibble in small portions throughout the day is a great method for animals used to eating larger amounts of food, or for those who are food-obsessed and will eat all their food otherwise in one go and act like theyre starving the rest of the day. Whether you feed it in 2, 3 or 4 portions - do what works best for you.

Dont get too discouraged with a little bit of weight gain at the start. For a 600g hedgehog, 8-10g fluctuation is a drop in the ocean. Weigh her again in 4 weeks; if there is no progress at all, we go back to the drawing board.

It is far easier to get a hog to gain weight than to get an obese hog to lose it - so dont fret, keep doing what you're doing, and (hopefully!) it will be worth it.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 02:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thank you both. We will stick at it and let you know how we get on.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #26 (permalink)

Hi,

I thought I’d update on how we are going with the diet.

We have just completed the first week of the complete change to the mix, so we are now on 80% Applaws, 20% James Wellbeloved. We are still putting on weight but I am also aware I’m a couple of weeks early on when I was supposed to check back in with progress so we may still be settling in to new food. She is still coming out looking for food during the day although that does seem to be less frequently. However this week her activity has slipped a little and she has done a little less mileage.

Now the food is switched I am on to reducing the extras and kibble she is given and I think I have come up with a plan to do this while making her daily volume of food a little more stable than it currently is as we have some days where I’m offering more food than others. E.g mince or veg then a day with neither.

Currently we are having over a two week period:
140g kibble
30g mince
20g fruit/veg
180 insects

My new idea is to alternate fruit/veg and mince each day but at the same time reducing the amount of each given, so one day 3g mince, the next 2g fruit/veg. By my workings out this will mean a more stable volume of food on a daily basis while at the same time reducing the overall quantity given.

It will look something like this over a two week period:
140g kibble
21g mince
14g fruit/veg
175 insects

This reduces her intake 15g over the two weeks whilst giving her the pretty much the same volume of food each day, I’m also hoping it will make the reduction less noticeable for her.

I then plan on reducing the actual kibble amount once I’ve change the snacks over.

Does this sound like a viable plan?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in