Right amount of food? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Emc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
The percentages here where do you get them from for this?
The applaws is 80% animal protein, and the james wellbeloved lists a minimum of 27.5% - I said a minimum of 30%, because it lists other animal sources but doesn't list the %, so we dont know for sure, but it is at least 30% (could be slightly higher, but again - they dont list exact %, which is annoying!).

Quick example; If the diet is 80% applaws, and the applaws has 80% animal protein, the applaws portion of the diet is therefore contributing 64% animal protein to the mix (because 80 x 80% = 64%).

Similarly, if the diet is 20% james wellbeloved and the james wellbeloved has a 30% animal protein content, it is therefore contributing 6% animal protein to the mix.

64% + 6% = 70% animal protein in a diet that is 80% applaws + 20% james wellbeloved. Does that make sense?... I usually do a rubbish job at explaining haha.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

Yea that makes sense, thank you.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am in awe of how quickly you did all that math! I will definitely read it again over the weekend and educate myself.

I’d would be great if I could use up my current mix, so not to waste it.

I don’t really have a preference on the fat content, I just want her to have the healthiest most balanced diet I can give her and get her a little slimmer.

I’m happy to try the senior applaws, I can’t see it tasting much different to the kitten but I’m sure Holly will soon let me know if she doesn’t approve!

I’m thinking as it has the higher animal protein that maybe start with the first option as it might stabilise her appetite (and hopefully mean she does more running as she’s not hungry so much and looking for food all the time).

I’ll get the food and start changing the mix on Sunday and once I have the balance I’ll reduce how much kibble I am giving her etc.

I will have to work out over the weekend how the percentages equate to grams of food and what increments to change it in, so we can get started.

You two have been so helpful, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

I will definitely report back with progress and I might need a little more help along the way if you wouldn’t mind?
Hollys helper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ria

If your doing 80/20 keeping it at 10g it would be 8g Applaws and 2g james wellbeloved
Save you some time there working that bit out.

I'll definitely help where I can, and I'd love to know how Holly does on it. I cant see her finding much difference in the senior to the kitten one as there isnt really a difference apart from the fat and protein haha.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Emc

If you want to save time, you dont have to weigh out 8g of Applaws and 2g of James Wellbeloved every time you feed her. You can make a bulk batch of the mix, and it'll still be the same GA. i.e you could make a 500g batch using 400g Applaws + 100g of your current james wellbeloved mix. that is, if you chose the 80% applaws + 20% JWB option. Likewise, you dont have to weigh out precisely 5-6g every time either. I have both the James wellbeloved and Applaws on hand, so if you do decide to eventually reduce her kibble intake, 1 teaspoon of that mix would be between 5-6g. For a hog of her activity level, 1-1.5 teaspoons should be plenty considering her add ins (kibble closer to 1 teaspoon, IMO). But, fiddle around with amounts and find what works best for you & her.

I dont mind at all with future questions - and i'd love to hear how Holly is doing in the future.

Last edited by Emc; 07-10-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Working into grams was simple math really I’d engaged my brain.

I will report back in a couple of weeks and let you both know how we are getting on.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

It’s me again!

I’m just making notes on Holly’s new food so I have the info to hand if I need it and I’ve just confused myself.

In the post with the calculations, the first set of examples say option A is 36.1 protein, 16.1 fat but the next calculation says protein is 70%, what is my poor little brain missing?

Also am I right in thinking that when the mix has changed to 80 % applaws and 20% current JWB mix it would mean Protein would be 36.1% and fat 16.1% as in option A?

Sorry for being a dunce!

To update on Holly. I started the applaws last night and she is eating it under duress. She now appears to be running before eating unlike before when she would go straight for the food, still ate it all by morning though.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Emc

Option A would be 36.1% protein, and 16.1% fat. The 70% protein note means that 70% of the protein in her kibble is coming from animals; does that make sense?...

The majority of protein in a hedgehogs diet should be animal based; and it is recommended that at least 60% of it comes from animals - which is why I noted what the animal protein % would be of each option, because its an important factor when choosing a diet.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you that makes sense. It’s what I thought but I’m easily confused.

How to do you the calculation to get the 36.1 out of curiosity please?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Emc

No bother, it's easy enough:

Applaws senior cat food is 37% protein, and 17% fat. As we want a diet that is 80% applaws, we simply multiply these numbers by 80%. So;

37% x 80% = 29.6% protein from Applaws.
17% x 80% = 13.6% far from applaws.

For the James wellbeloved, you mentioned that the Protein for the mix you have is 32.5% and the fat is 12.5%. As we are using 20% of this mix in our new mix, we multiply these numbers by 20%. So;

32.5% x 20% = 6.5% protein contributed by James Wellbeloved
12.5% x 20% = 2.5% fat contribrued by James Wellbeloved.

If we add those numbers together;

29.6% + 6.5% = 36.1% protein
13.6% + 2.5% = 16. 1% fat

^ for a mix that is 80% applaws, and 20% of the current james wellbeloved. Hope that clears it up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in