Food Strike - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food Strike

It looks like my hedgehog decided to go on a food strike. She digs through her usual kibble, but does not really eat any of it. Last week she got diagnosed with a Clostridium issue and has been on antiobiotics for that for 6 days now. I would have expected to see more interest in the usual food by now but this does not seem to happen.

In the meantime I have been supplementing her usual kibble that is offered to her in the cage with wet cat food and live crickets (about 10-12 large a night). It seems like the wet food may have caused more stomach upset than helped... So I added Emeraid critical care feedings just to make sure she is taking in some calories. Yesterday I tried cutting out the syringe feeding and the crickets to see if she would eat the kibble, but without any luck. So this morning she got a feeding of Emeraid (with a fight, which is why i hate syringe feeding) to get some calories into her.

I guess tonight I'll try crushing some kibble into liquid emeraid to see if she may agree to eat the "soup" on her own. What other things could I try? I am concerned about switching the diet too much and get more intestinal upset instead of helping.

How many crickets is too many a day? She still goes crazy for those and devours them incredibly fast. I just don't know if I am hurting her more than helping with offering more than usual.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Being on medication would make them less motivated to begin with, but if she’s gotten into a routine of eating her favorite insect and some wet cat food she probably won’t eat the kibble. Try decreasing the amount of insects and supplements you’re giving her slowly so that she’s still getting some food without the need to syringe, but she’s not getting as much and may want to start eating the kibble. They definitely can be like dogs in the sense that if they know the fun yummy stuff is coming, they’ll not even bother with a dry diet!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

If shes fighting the syringe feeding have you tried mixing the wet into the biscuit ?? Or even getting another dish for the wet food to see if she eats that on her own ??

Crickets are pretty low in fat but are fairly good for protein. You could stay at 10-12 or go down to 7-8 you feel like it will help by offering a little less to try get her to eat the biscuit.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

First and foremost, have you notified your vet of the change in her appetite? If not, you should. Its possible that they will want to change the antibiotic given to help reduce the appetite loss.

However, this is a fairly common reaction to antibiotics. Like us, our quilled friends, can suffer from antibiotics causing havoc on the GI system. They more often cause green or loose stools, but they can also cause a loss of appetite as their stomachs are upset. And like us, they can take probiotics to try to counteract the destruction of good bacteria in their guts.

If she was mine Id start her on a probiotic. I use a high count version of acidophilus. With a human capsule version, you can open a capsule and initially start out by pouring a hefty amount to mix with her food. Pour this either on food they will eat or mix it in a syringe feeding and feed it to your hedgehog at a minimum 2 hrs before/after a dose of antibiotics, it supposedly works best if you can give it mid-way between the doses of antibiotic. If you give it too close, the antibiotic will kill the probiotic.

If her appetite improves and you no longer need to syringe feed or provide wet foods, sprinkle the acidophilus on her kibble. I give this to mine daily whenever they are on antibiotics, and typically continue to do so for 5 days afterwards if they had a GI reaction to them just to ensure the GI flora is good again.

It is quite possible you may not see any improvement until she has been off the antibiotic for a few days as it sounds like her GI is quite upset by them.
nikki likes this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kalandra, her food intake went down before the antibiotics which was the reason for the vet visit along with just slightly abnormal stools which i was planning to watch for another couple days. So the doctor knows there were appetite issues even before the antibiotic. Plus, she seems to have a Clostridia issue at least once a year, so she has been on this medicine before, but the worst that happened was green stool, but no appetite issues.

Her usual selections are a mix of dry whole kibble and the same kibble crushed and made into a "soup" with water. She's been spilling both foods all around so I did not even immediately catch on to the fact she was not eating much at all. I've been wondering if the main food she always liked had a change to the formula since I started a new bag couple weeks ago, and it seems that's when the big messes out of the food began, too. The bad part is that she never even cared much for the two other foods in the mix and would only get them as a part of the "soup" when she chose that over the dry kibble. I have two other dry foods I have bought since (Fromm and Fussie Cat), but I don't even know if offering them now is a good idea.

She also is on Bene-Bac Plus (0.5cc every other day) since the antibiotic treatment began.

Should I introduce the other kibble? Maybe keep it separate from the usual mix? Mix the old or the new kibble crushed with Emeraid? I am at a loss as to what makes sense to keep her nutrition up.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Offer the new foods in a separate dish so that she can try them if she wants to but hedgehogs tend to be picky eaters anyways so definitely don't force her to switch if she doesn't want to. If she keeps taking to crickets keep letting her have those. Too many crickets will cause fat and weight gain but they are nutritional so that's preferable to starving to death.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in