I might've made a bad choice. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I might've made a bad choice.

Ok today I went shopping and bought Igor some wet cat food. It's chicken breasts, in gravy, and I mixed a teaspoon in with his kibble and he seems to enjoy it.

Now, I'm worrying about two things.

1. Picking up weight.

2. Not eating his normal kibble again.

One is easy to handle, I just stop giving him the wet food with his kibble if it seems he's gaining more than loosing. He's been having a good weight scale, staying nearly the same every time I weigh him, nothing too drastic.

But two... I heard hogs are like dogs. When they find out what's yummy, they won't go back to plain food. What if he refuses his dry kibble?

Is there a way this can be prevented?

(This hasn't happened yet, I have given him the wet food with his kibble tonight for the first time. So the worrying is just precaution, I guess. Midnight thoughts are troubling.)
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Don't get in the habit of every day. Do it twice or 3 times a week, then if you need to it's easier to take out one day at a time, and he'll still be used to getting days of just plain food.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since wet diets tend to have that gravy in it, it’s definitey a higher fat content food than drys, so even owners using wet cat food *generally* don’t use it every day. It’s good that you checked though before he did get attached. But honestly, my philosophy for any animal is that they’ll GET hungry enough eventually (and I’m not saying multiple days so don’t come at me lol) but even if a hog were to get hooked on a diet and it suddenly goes away, they’ll eventually be hungry enough to eat the food presented to them. But that is one reason we gradually increase or decrease a diet for that reason among more; it’ll slowly get them used to less and less until it’s not present every day!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
But honestly, my philosophy for any animal is that they’ll GET hungry enough eventually (and I’m not saying multiple days so don’t come at me lol) but even if a hog were to get hooked on a diet and it suddenly goes away, they’ll eventually be hungry enough to eat the food presented to them.
Any other animal wont starve themselves, and if you change a diet they will end up just eating whats given. Hedgehogs on the other hand will starve themselves (So I was told anyway) which is why its more important people change diet slowly have a mix of biscuit should it need changing due to one changing for the worsts.
Unlike other animals if a hedgehog doesnt like the food it will starve.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, so I'll only add the wet food every three days, thank you.
How long can the wet food stay good for in the fridge after opening though?

My mom said I should give it every day since it'll turn bad if I give if to him every other day.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

You can always do 3 consecutive days, so last night, tonight then tomorrow night. You'll likely have some waste though - so Holly just gets a little of my dogs wet food so it works out better.
How long it lasts can be found on each package, all are different though of course I think most go up to 2-3 days.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alright, awesome, thank you!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Emc

My hedgehog eats wet food most of the week, and she still loves her kibble. Honestly I don't think you'll have an issue, especially because you're feeding such a tiny portion - so it's not like he will be fully satisfied by eating wet food and nothing more, so he will have to eat kibble to feel full.

Also not too sure how accurate a hedgehog starving itself is; theyre incredibly picky, but I highly doubt that they'd be picky to the point of starvation. My hedgehog is a picky brat with certain kibble brands, and has recently decided that she hates every kibble type unless its turkey flavour (yet will eat any flavour wet food, because thats hedgehog logic) but if you leave it in her bowl and refuse to give her anything else, she'd eat it eventually.

^ I give in to her pickiness and let her have her turkey kibble, because there's no need for me to force her into eating something she clearly doesn't like when she can get the same nutrition from something that she does like. But my point being; I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think its an awfully common occurrence for a hedgehog to starve themselves just because theyre not served their favourite dinner every day.

Wet food will last anywhere from 48-72 hours once opened and stored in the fridge, so i'd recommend buying the smallest portion you can get to minimise waste especially if you plan on offering so little.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
Also not too sure how accurate a hedgehog starving itself is; theyre incredibly picky, but I highly doubt that they'd be picky to the point of starvation. My hedgehog is a picky brat with certain kibble brands, and has recently decided that she hates every kibble type unless its turkey flavour (yet will eat any flavour wet food, because thats hedgehog logic) but if you leave it in her bowl and refuse to give her anything else, she'd eat it eventually.

^ I give in to her pickiness and let her have her turkey kibble, because there's no need for me to force her into eating something she clearly doesn't like when she can get the same nutrition from something that she does like. But my point being; I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think its an awfully common occurrence for a hedgehog to starve themselves just because theyre not served their favourite dinner every day.
I didn't say its 100% accurate and that its bound to happen. Its what I have always been told, and I never found anything saying otherwise, most people dont really try to find out either, because if the hog doesn't eat for 2-3 days they just get syringe fed instead, unlike with a dog who people let them go longer 4-5 days without it - Depending on how the dog is obviously - until the eat what they keep getting given.
Its a whole lot more common for a hedgehog to stop eating and starve themselves than it is for other animals though.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Emc

I understand that; I just feel like people are almost terrified to try new foods with their hedgehogs because it's often made out to be like the hedgehog will get a taste for a new food and starve itself for eternity if they're not served that specific meal every day.

Im not denying that there probably are cases where an animal will literally starve itself vs eat what its given.. for any species, not just hogs. but I would argue that these are very extreme and extremely rare circumstances, and it goes against all natural instinct. Especially being a scavenger, I would think that a hedgehog putting on the breaks and choosing to starve itself instead of eating isnt as common as its oftentimes made out to be (again, not denying that its possible!). Its usually as easy as switching to a different kibble because evidently they hate the one they've been previously offered, or just mixing a tiny bit of broth (or wet food, oil, etc) into the food to entice them to eat it - which can be used to gradually entice the animal to eat the kibble again, sort of like a weaning process in ways.

Just my two cents!
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in