He freaked out with a super worm! Weird?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default He freaked out with a super worm! Weird?!

I had a super worm dangling in from of him so he could smell it and it moved and he freaked out, then didn’t want anything to do with it. Keep trying or or get it?
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since hedgehogs have pretty bad eyesight, something they’re not used to dangling in their face probably will frighten them. Although Christina will take worms from me or near me, I usually let them crawl around near her and she can smell around until she catches it; seeing something small crawling away from them is a lot more enticing than trying to figure out what thing is moving around their face.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
Since hedgehogs have pretty bad eyesight, something they’re not used to dangling in their face probably will frighten them. Although Christina will take worms from me or near me, I usually let them crawl around near her and she can smell around until she catches it; seeing something small crawling away from them is a lot more enticing than trying to figure out what thing is moving around their face.
Oops! I’ll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Let me know how it goes. I saw super worms at the store yesterday but just went with the mealworms since I know I can also feed them to my birds.

(I also tried apple as you had. Mecki had half a nibble and that was it.)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecki View Post
Let me know how it goes. I saw super worms at the store yesterday but just went with the mealworms since I know I can also feed them to my birds.

(I also tried apple as you had. Mecki had half a nibble and that was it.)
I tried super worms again last night but no luck. I’ll try a few more times before I give up on super worms.
Buddy loves apple but since it has sugar and not great for their teeth, I’m going to mix it up with veggies.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

So I tried super worms again and Buddy LOVES them!! I put one out on the floor when I took him out this evening and he couldn’t get enough!! So now I’m wondering how many (average size) should I feed him at one time? And I should still give kibble as well right? I figure I’ll give him the worms when I take him out for bonding time and kibble when I put him back in his cage. That’ll be ok right? Thanks!!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Forgot to say he’s under 3 months old. 😁
Old 05-09-2019, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I’m pretty partial to a kibble based diet, simply because I know exactly the nutrients she’s getting and can manage diets a lot easier. With that being said, I offer her plenty of insects regularly. She’s two, and I do reserve her insects for the time she’s out of her house. Those are what they love the best and it’s important to me for her to associate good things with being out of her house. Usually, I stick with various worms, I’m actually gonna try crickets for the first time tonight, and I’ll generally give her one worm at a time until she walks away. Simple as that. Since Buddy is still growing, it should be even easier for you as you don’t have to keep as close of an eye on his fat/calorie consumption! Depending on the insect, she eats 4-10 a night using my best guess (I’m very lax on her insect portion of the diet). Then, when she goes back home, I dish out her kibble and she goes to town! Run on the wheel... get a kibble... run through the litter... wheel...kibble...wheel haha. She’s a funny girl.

Sorry I got sidetracked. Hopefully this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes that did aj.t, thanks! Buddy ate about 8 and would’ve ate more but I got concerned so I stopped offering them. I put his kibble in but he hadn’t ate any when I came to bed. I’ll check in the morning.
How can you feed crickets, they jump!?! Lol let me know how it goes! Also, what other worms do you offer?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

Holly gets them dead. I will buy them live and then put them in the freezer to die after their last meal..
This way they cant jump around.

Although live you can grab the cricket by the back legs and feed it by tweezers so you dont get them running around the house !!

I would say though that with the worms, not to do more than 10 overall as they are fatty, and even for a young hog you don't want them gaining too much too fast.

Its a good idea to monitor the fat and weight while on the fattier diet, this way you can see how much he gains in the week with the fattier diet so it makes it that bit easier to change it to stabilise his weight if its needed.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in