How about this food (photo)? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How about this food (photo)?

This looks like good Hedgie food, but I’m still learning so I ask your advice before I buy it. Thanks!
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

I'll give you its not terrible hedgehog food.
But the protein is pretty high at 37% it recommended to keep it no higher than 35%
The freeze dried mealworms aren't good, too many can cause constipation, and they hole NO nutrients at all.
Also its contains different berries. It doesn't even look like its a biscuit at all.

To be honest all hedgehog foods aren't good. You'll be better looking at cat biscuits even small dog breed biscuit.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

In the grand scheme of things, it’s probably one of the better hedgehog foods I’ve seen. With that being said, there are some threads on this forum about hedgehog impaction (constipation) due to being fed too many freeze dried worms that they can’t properly digest. I’d suggest checking those threads out to assess for yourself. I’ve personally used freeze dried in the past but never as a staple in their diet which I can assume is where the major problems come in.
It’s true though that “hedgehog quality” foods are almost never up to par. I use a quality dry cat diet. Look for ingredients that list specific animal meals instead of ‘poultry’ or ‘fish’. The shrimp and crab is a great example- instead of listing ‘seafood’ meal they list the type. Just something else to consider!
I’m sure all this information can be overwhelming so don’t feel bad for asking questions. I don’t have the link right now but there’s a GREAT thread on this forum that thoroughly discusses their diet needs in a simple way!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Have a read through of this. Its a beginners guid to hedgehog nutrition, it explains what to look for in a food, in the most simple way.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...#/topics/23034

Aj.t - The freeze dried meal worms are okay sometimes, in small amounts, but yes when its part of their every day main diet, thats when the problems of impaction comes in and starts causing things like constipation.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Emc

I dont believe this is being marketed as a main diet; it clearly states treat on the bag, and only contains 70g. It's not the worst treat (though it is very low quality), but it is a terrible choice as your hedgehogs main source of nutrition. It is mostly dried mealworms (which can cause issues if fed regularly in such large amounts), and the pellets that it does contain are composed of low quality ingredients like fish meal and poultry meal. Specified meals (i.e chicken meal, beef meal, etc) are fine but unspecified meals like poultry meal are best avoided.

Food marketed for hedgehogs in general is just best avoided, I havent yet come across a single one that's actually high quality. As already mentioned, you're best off sticking to a high quality cat or dog food. Cat food is most recommended, as many hedgehogs have difficulty with dog biscuits; so they have to be broken up. There's a list of brands over here, if you want to check it out.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know figuring out a proper food can be confusing. The main thing to remember is that you want to look at...
- the percentages of protein, fat and fiber
- the main ingredients (the first few listed ingredients)

This is explained real clearly at this link:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...nutrition.html
If you click over to this link, I think it will make much more sense and help take away the confusion. Once you've read that, then you can check out the following chart.

Here is a chart that shows specific brands and then for each one it lists out...
- percentages of protein, fat and fiber
- the main ingredients

http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kibble-list.html

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok great, thanks. I knew freeze dried worms are a no no for regular diet that’s why I was concerned about the rest of the stuff in there. I’ll go with dry cat food and live mill worms as a treat.
Any dry cat food you all use and or recommend? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ha! We were posting here at the same time.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are these any better than freeze dried ones?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddysmom View Post
Are these any better than freeze dried ones?
Canned insects are a comparable substitute to live definitely! I’ve never personally used them but they carry most all of the same nutrients. I have heard though that they tend to be pretty smelly so brace yourself!

The problem with freeze dried is that it takes away the enzymes that help digest the chitin and canned are just gooey preserved insects so none of their nutrients have been “zapped” out 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in