Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fish (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191282)

Ria 04-24-2019 11:47 AM

Fish

Okay so I know they can eat fish. Is this just fish meal ect in food
Or can they eat actual pieces of fish like they can chicken.
Are all fishes safe or are there some that should be avoided, even if they are in food.

Emc 04-24-2019 12:46 PM

By 'actual fish' I assume you mean something like a piece of fresh fish?

There are some types of fish that are best kept to treats; perhaps most notably tuna, due to mercury content. That's not to say that a small amount of tuna every now again is 'bad', it just wouldn't be something that I, personally, would feel comfortable feeding on the regular. Mercury content will vary depending on where the fish was caught, but it's something to be aware of nonetheless.

Generally speaking, all fish commonly available on the market are safe to feed to hedgehogs. i.e salmon, whitefish, sardines, cod, mackerel, trout, etc. Obviously, there are toxic species - to both humans and pets haha. There are also some fish that I just wouldn't bother feeding (eel, farmed salmon, stuff like that). If you have a particular fish in mind and you aren't sure if its safe, you could always post it to double check.

Ria 04-24-2019 01:55 PM

Yea I meant a piece of fish.

I wasn't planing on giving her fish regularly, but she liked the smell of my steamed salmon the other night; and then I was curious on what fishes are actually safe.
Most salmon we can buy is farmed though, pre packaged or from a fish counter its still mainly farmed.
Tuna mostly we buy it canned so to be fair I don't think I'd ever give it to Holly unless I brought if from a fish counter, and even then I'd give her very small amounts.

Thank you for the information. So most fish like trout, mackerel, seabas, cod are fine ??

Emc 04-24-2019 02:50 PM

Trout, mackerel, sea bass, and cod are all safe yes. :)

Ria 04-24-2019 03:11 PM

81 Attachment(s)
Farmed salmon why would this be bad ??

As doing catering - The only difference in farmed salmon and fresh salmon is the size.
With fish (farmed or not) they are still kept completely naturally.
And farmed salmon is generally the main salmon on the market, as we can get it all year round.

Brooke Lancelot 04-24-2019 03:13 PM

Lol Igor loves fish. I can hold the piece of fish above his head whiles he's sleeping and a few seconds later he'll wake up looking for the tasty treat.

Ria 04-24-2019 03:25 PM

81 Attachment(s)
Aw thats so cute.
I get that reaction from Holly mainly with Duck.
But I get it with most meats, fruits and veg. And she took an interest in the smell of salmon.
She's never actually had fish because although knowing its safe I wasnt never 100% sure what ones were safe

Brooke Lancelot 04-24-2019 03:38 PM

I've never had duck, nor am I sure that they even sell it here.
Fruits and veggies ain't Igor's cup of tea, but when it comes to steak, pork, fish, chicken, and anything meaty, oh he'll gobble it up. My mom says he's a meat eater, and she's sure he'd even eat my flesh if it was offered 😂

Ria 04-24-2019 03:59 PM

I think most hogs are meat eaters. Be carful with pork as it can be veryyyyy salt and its verrrryyyy fatty too. Most people avoid giving it, but a small bit here and there wont cause harm.

Brooke Lancelot 04-24-2019 04:07 PM

I don't eat pork alot either, it tends to make me nauseous, and I only give Igor a piece that's smaller than my pinkie if I give him. Most is white meat, fish and chicken. I think it'll he safe for holly to eat, no problem. Its easy to digest.