Is this okay as a base food? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this okay as a base food?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if this cat food is okay as a base food? I'd like to feed this with some baby food meats, fruit, and veggies, and insects.

Are there any supplements I should include? And it'd be nice to have a "recommended guaranteed analysis" sheet for hedgehogs. You know, where it shows how much protein % they should have and what not. If anyone knows where to find one, could you send me a link or picture of it?

Also, what is an appropriate weight for an adult hedgehog, and is there a way to calculate hedgehog BMI? What is a good hedgehog BMI anyways?

Thanks for all your help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190208_174048_1549678558016.jpg (117.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190208_174121_1_1549678633131.jpg (136.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190208_174132_1549678736156.jpg (104.5 KB, 15 views)
Kysarkel000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's the link to the thread on this forum that is all about hedgehog nutrition (including those percentage recommendations).
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...nutrition.html

The protein and fiber on the food in the photo is way low.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited by Mecki; 02-08-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey there! Honestly, it’s by far not the worst food I’ve seen, and what I’m focusing more on is the ingredients. You can see that the first three listed are real meats, which is one of the biggest feats when searching for a good quality food. I didn’t review the thread linked in this one, so it will probably give you a lot more information. As a general statement, protein should be around 30%, fat no more than 15%, and I would say the only major problem I’m seeing is the moisture- high moisture will just mean that it won’t keep as long! But, that’s not a bad choice to start! Definitely look around and see what’s out there.
As for weights, a healthy adult can be anywhere from 300-500g. An easy way to measure this is to just get a 10$ food scale on amazon. And you were probably looking for a more sophisticated answer for BMI, but if your hedgie’s got rolls around this legs, he’s too fat lol. Just periodically do body checks to make sure they’re looking full but uniform.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey there! Honestly, it’s by far not the worst food I’ve seen, and what I’m focusing more on is the ingredients. You can see that the first three listed are real meats, which is one of the biggest feats when searching for a good quality food. I didn’t review the thread linked in this one, so it will probably give you a lot more information. As a general statement, protein should be around 30%, fat no more than 15%, and I would say the only major problem I’m seeing is the moisture- high moisture will just mean that it won’t keep as long! But, that’s not a bad choice to start! Definitely look around and see what’s out there. And the taurine is a plus too; that’s a universally good supplement, and finding it in the kibble is a bonus.
As for weights, a healthy adult can be anywhere from 300-500g. An easy way to measure this is to just get a 10$ food scale on amazon. And you were probably looking for a more sophisticated answer for BMI, but if your hedgie’s got rolls around this legs, he’s too fat lol. Just periodically do body checks to make sure they’re looking full but uniform.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! Great info!
Kysarkel000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Aj.t, I also noticed the real meat ingredients listed first. That is good. But the percentages were more my concern. The protein is woefully off and the fiber is quite low. There are better options than the kibble in question (and worse ones too).

Comparing by percentages the freshpet with recommendations...
protein 18% -- recommended 28-35%
fat 10% -- recommended 10-15%
fiber 2% -- recommended as high as you can find (8-10 can be found)

There is a list of better quality kibble options here:
http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kibble-list.html

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

The protein is way too low. The protein should be 30-33% and should never go above 35%. There should be about 10-13% fat... young hedgehogs might need over 15%. The fiber should be 3-8% (it’s not that important.) The ingredients are great though. You want to make sure that the first three ingredients are whole meats. 🙂
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

By the way, fish based foods can make your hedgehog’s poop smell really bad.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in