Food. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ria

Default Food.

Okay so when I was doing all my research for getting Holly I read that fisn is on list of foods they can’t have.
But on this forum and a facebook group everyone seems to give them things that have fish and actual fish.
So am I tottally wrong in the fact they shouldnt have fish ??

Also with the insects are they meant to have them daily or every other day or just sometimes ??

I think I’ve totally got myself comfused here so I just want to check.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's okay for hedgehogs to eat freshly cooked unseasoned fish in moderation. Just don't feed them the canned ones as they're high in sodium.

As for insects feeding them depends on your hedgehog. Is your hedgie a bit chubby?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

They can have fish in cat foods, I used to feed halo salmon and it definitely made my boy's fur look shiny. People just don't like feeding it because it can make their poop smellier but tbh I haven't noticed much of a difference with and without using it, it still smells either way lol. Just remove it quickly!

In my opinion insects should form part of their main diet, in the wild insects and invertebrates make up a large part of their diet. Feeding them as just a treat a few times a week is surpressing their diet. Of course the insects you feed should be varied as much as possible and feeding fattier insects like superworms, wax worms and butter worms may be need to be restricted if your hedgie is overweight. There are insects lower in fat that could be feed daily but if your hedgie is not overweight supers, mealies are fine to feed daily, just monitor. Dubia roaches, silkworms and calci worms are some of the best feeders, crickets, caterpillars, grasshopers, fruit fly larvae and snails are also ok. There's an insect guide on here if you want more info
nikki and hufflepuff_hedgehog like this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

To be honest I wouldnt give Holly any food out of a can (unless is designed for animals and shes not eating so I need to syring feed her which I’m hoping wont happen)
I just wanted to know as finding food without fish or fish traces is basically impossible. But I was worried the fish could be really bad for her. Plus her food she was on at the breeders had fish and fish diractives and I wasnt sure if there could be an issue because of this even though she seems healthy.
But she was eating her cat litter when I got her (the one that the breeder gave us) still not sure why !! But dont think it was very healthy for her
Plus since coming off her food with the breeder her poo hasnt been really green, so I was just wonderin if maybe something in that food was upsetting her stomach, and thinking fish was bad for them thought it was that so then made it even harder to find her foods that havent got fish.

She has been having insects daily, I just wanted to check that it was right. Though I’m waiting for these other insects to arrive to give her more of a variety in them. Delievering seems to take forever !!
Shes not overweight and shes the perfect shape, but shes very active at night and both her foods dont have high fat nor do her insects.

Last edited by Ria; 10-11-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cat foods containing fish oil are honestly fine and shouldn't cause much of a problem, as long as it's not in the first 5 ingredients it won't be much anyways, if you did want to avoid it as much as possible. Fish oils are high in omega 3 though and are good for skin and health. What you could do is use a mix of two or even 3 cat foods, one containing fish/fish oils and the other ones don't so she is getting a balance of different nutrients.

The previous food may have had another ingredient which was causing the green poop.

One food I feed is Now Fresh Senior Turkey formula. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have fish in it. It has flax seed and canola oil. Although it does have peas and potato flour which aren't ideal, there is no cat food which is perfect so best to feed a mix so it is more varied and balanced.

If she is losing weight or can't maintain weight, you can add a higher fat cat food or add more fattier insects. Just do both in moderation as they can quickly go the other way (like my boy) >.<
nikki likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

She has no trouble with keeping fat. And one her foods has fish oil as the second to last ingredient. And doesnt have potatoe or pea

We found a second one, that doesnt have any fish or fish oil, and with no potatoe or pea.

I was going to look into a third one to add. So far she has one good cat food and one goos dog food (that look sorta like worms haha)
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I buy Orijen, a grain free and bio. In my opinion its the best there is!
mike87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in