Very confused - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Very confused

So when we got preston th epet store owner gave us a decent size bag of the food he was using there, we dont know what brand or anything the food is though. now he has just finished the last of it and iv been searching the forums all morning but there is so many choices and im just confused. What is overall one of the better foods for a 11 week old hedgie?

AnnabellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Very confused

It really would've been better to start a transition before you ran out of the food. Switching cold turkey is going to cause stomach upset and there's always the possibility that he'll refuse to eat something new. Is it possible to get some more of that food from the store for the purpose of transition?

As for good foods, this is the list of recommended options I give our potential buyers. Any of them or any combination of them would work well: http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I didnt know we were almost out of the food or i would have, but my boyfreind is the one who takes care of refilling the water and food and never told me until today.... luckily i went to a pet food store and the girl helping me out has 2 hedgies of her own so she was a great help, and i now have a mix i made for him. He eats almost everything you put in front of him so hopefully this mix is a hit!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity what new foods did you settle on? It would be a good idea to introduce one food at a time not starting will the complete mix. You want to be able to keep track of which foods he likes and if any of them upset his tummy.

It will be interesting to see what he likes, my hedgehog is also a food vacuum but my other hedgehog Quigley was a very picky eater, it took forever to convince him his new kibble was food when we first got him and he refused all soft food except for bananas for some reason.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

What foods did you end up getting for him? It's great that he's willing to eat the new food, but I would definitely suggest getting some Benebac or acidophilus, which are probiotics. Giving a large pinch on top of his food every day will help with the transition. I would also suggest only introducing one of the new foods at a time, which makes the transition easier but also means that if there's a bad reaction, such as an allergy, you'll know which food is the culprit.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Performatrin Ultra slim care, as well as Now Fresh . He has tried it and seems to like it. I was unaware to not mix them right away the girl said it would be fine, seeing as she has 2 hedgies i figured it would be okay. I will monitor very closly though over the weekend. I feel so bad now

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't feel too bad. His poop might be a bit green for a few days, but it won't take him that long to get used to it, and it won't hurt him or anything. Slow transitions and acidophilus/Benebac make the transition more comfortable for them, but it's not the end of the world if you do a sudden switch by accident. The most important thing is that he's willing to eat the new food and you won't have to worry about him going on a food strike.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did you mix the foods all together already? If not, you can just start with one now, give him time to adjust to that, and then gradually introduce the other after a few weeks. I definitely recommend getting some priobiotic and using it daily for the next two weeks or so, especially if you already mixed all the food together and aren't able to introduce them one at a time.

Which version of Now Fresh did you buy? (Kitten, adult, or senior?)

Both of the foods are good as far as ingredients go. Performatrin is on the high side for protein, but that's not something to worry about, especially in combination with the other food. Depending on which version of Now Fresh you got, the mix of those two foods (assuming a 50/50 mix) is between 16% and 19%. Unless you happen to have a very active, wheel-crazy hedgehog that requires extra fat to keep at a healthy weight, that mix is going to be too high in fat. Under 15% is recommended, though in my experience the average adult hedgehog does best at 10-12% fat. You'll be fine for the immediate future, since young hedgehogs do fine with extra fat because they're growing so much, but you'll want to change the mix later on so the fat content is more appropriate.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

The now fesh is the senior one, i had only got the small bags of each just enough to fill a small container. Sadly i did already mix them, but when we took him out to play we gave him a sample of each and he ate them both, then when we put him back in his cage he had some more ( of the mix) then went back to bed. He had pooped 2 times while we played ( after eating the new stuff) the poop seemed okay at that point. Ill look into the acidophilus/Benebac . Hopefully this isnt a horrible transition for him. atleast at this point he is eating the new mix. For the next food i buy him hopefully i have a better clue by then! sadly where i got him was not very informative ( thought i did all teh needed research but theres always so muchmore to learn!)

Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

You're doing pretty good, no worries! Getting the small bags was the way to go. Even without a probiotic, a cold turkey transition is typically fine as long as you can get them to eat, and you're past that point already. I'd say keep using the mix you have for now, since he'll be fine with the high fat given his age. You should start figuring out the next food now, so you have all of that figured out by the time you have to switch to the next one.

The Now Fresh Senior, on its own, is a good food. It has 14% fat which might be a tiny bit high for some adults, but fine for others. My suggestion would be to stick with that one after this mix runs out, that way it's lowering the fat content but not another complete switch to a new food. You can buy another bag of that one and continue him on just the Now Fresh for at least a few weeks after the mix is used up, and then you can either stay with one food for the long term, or introduce a second food that's more like 10-12% (to lower the overall fat content, if it seems necessary at that point).

Volcano View Hedgehogs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in