Spike's Delite - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spike's Delite

Does anyone here feed it? I looked through all of the formulas and if I do decide to feed it, this is the formula I would choose. I highlighted the one ingredient that I don't like and I REALLY don't like it since it's been associated with health problems. But if people have been feeding this stuff for years, there should be a lot of feedback.

Hegehog Pro-Diet

Chicken meal, extruded brown rice, soybean meal, extruded brown rice, fish meal, steam-rolled oat groats,
extruded whole soymeal, soy hulls, vegetable oil, Brewers yeast, whole dried egg, blood meal, potassium chloride, salt,
magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A acetate,
D-activated animal sterol (source of Vitamin D3), DL-Alpha Tocopheryl acetate (source of Vitamin E),
Menadione sodum bisulfate complex (source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate,
niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, ferrous sulfate,
zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, maganous oxide, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate,
dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, corn germ meal, dried kelp, dried tomato pomace, vinegar,
yeast culture, monosodium phosphate, sodium sulfate, ferric sulfate, magnesium oxide, cobalt sulfate, cane sugar,
DL-methionine, ferrous fumarate, sea salt, l-lysine, lecithin, Vitamin E Supplement, potassium iodide, beta carotene,
zinc methionine complex, hydrochloric acid, yucca schidigera extract, algae meal, diatomaceous earth,
cobalt choline citrate complex, ferric choline citrate complex, calcium pantothenate, copper choline citrate complex,
sodium selenite, magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, calcium amino acid chelate,
iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate,
thiamine monoitrate, ferrous carbonate, hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate, peppermint, violet leaves, garlic, alfalfa, horseradish, parsely, dandelion, geranium, ginger, juniper (berries), elder flowers, hops, licorice, clover, tocopherol, amylase, cellulose, maltase, phytase, protease, lipase, mixed tocopherols, citric a acid, ascorbic acid, rosemary extract.
TzusnHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Spike's Delite

Most people here consider it a crappy food, most people here feed a mix of three catfoods, if you check out the diet section there's a list of good cat foods.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've done lots of nutrition research for my two dogs and feed them holistic food. I rotate between EVO, Innova Prime, and California Natural grain free after experimenting with a lot of other holistic foods. I'm just wondering if anyone here feeds Spike's Delite. Just the one specific formula that I posted looks good to me. For a cat or dog, yes the ingredients would be junky, but it seems like for a hedgehog, the ingredients are pretty appropriate and so are the protein and fat %. This time I'll bold what I think is GOOD about the food.

Chicken meal, extruded brown rice, soybean meal, extruded brown rice, fish meal, steam-rolled oat groats,
extruded whole soymeal, soy hulls, vegetable oil, Brewers yeast, whole dried egg, blood meal, potassium chloride, salt,
magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A acetate,
D-activated animal sterol (source of Vitamin D3), DL-Alpha Tocopheryl acetate (source of Vitamin E),
Menadione sodum bisulfate complex (source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate,
niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, ferrous sulfate,
zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, maganous oxide, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate,
dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, corn germ meal, dried kelp, dried tomato pomace, vinegar,
yeast culture,
monosodium phosphate, sodium sulfate, ferric sulfate, magnesium oxide, cobalt sulfate, cane sugar,
DL-methionine, ferrous fumarate, sea salt, l-lysine, lecithin, Vitamin E Supplement, potassium iodide, beta carotene,
zinc methionine complex, hydrochloric acid, yucca schidigera extract, algae meal, diatomaceous earth, cobalt choline citrate complex, ferric choline citrate complex, calcium pantothenate, copper choline citrate complex,
sodium selenite, magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, calcium amino acid chelate,
iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate,
thiamine monoitrate, ferrous carbonate, hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate, peppermint, violet leaves, garlic, alfalfa, horseradish, parsely, dandelion, geranium, ginger, juniper (berries), elder flowers, hops, licorice, clover, tocopherol, amylase, cellulose, maltase, phytase, protease, lipase, mixed tocopherols, citric a acid, ascorbic acid, rosemary extract.

The stuff that I'm neutral towards, like soy bean hulls and oat groats actually seem like they might be good roughage for a hedgehog. I like that it has digestive enzymes (amylase, maltase, phytase, protease, lipase) and probiotics(dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product). Plus the last ingredients seem like stuff that a hedgehog may forage for. I just can't see how this formula would be junk.

So I'm really interested in people who have fed or are feeding Spike's Delite.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I did feed Lily Spike's Delite for the first several months I had her, but I switched to a mix of cat foods after joining this forum. I know that Spike's Delight is considered the best of the available hedgehog foods, but most of the people on the forum here feed and recommend high quality/holistic cat foods. I can't recall whether I noticed any huge differences in her between Spike's Delight and cat food, I didn't think to really write down any observations or anything like that. I know the breeder I got her from feeds it to all of her hedgehogs & is a distributor for it as well. I agree that I'm a bit iffy on the menadione sodum bisulfate complex, but other than that, the ingredients are nowhere near as bad as pretty much every other hedgehog food that's sold. If you would like to feed it, I'd say still mix it with a good cat food for variety - the main reason that's recommended is because hedgehogs can be extremely picky and don't do well with diet changes. If something happened to where you ran out of or couldn't get an Spike's Delight (especially since it's something you have to order, unless a local breeder distributes it), you may have a hedgehog hunger strike and be forced to syringe-feed, which is stressful for everyone involved.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't see any real ingredients in that to call it a decent food for hedgehogs. Its all just fillers and enzymes. Honestly, its just crap. You can find mulitple cat foods with quality, real ingredients. Majority of commercial hedgehog foods aren't very good, and like Lilysmommy said, if you run out before you order more, you don't have anything else to feed them. If you are not interested in cat/dog kibble at all, you can try making your own hollistic hedgehog meals at home with fresh meats, veggies, fruits, and insects. Several of us make our own blended mixes that we serve alongside the hard kibble and the hedgies usually gobble it up.

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Squiggy the hedgie- I guess I don't see how it's all fillers and enzymes. The first ingredient is chicken, then rice (instead of corn, like the junky foods). The fish meal, dried egg and blood meal are also good. It also has yucca schidigera extract, probiotics, lots of herbal ingredients and then enzymes (which are healthy) at the very end.

I agree that running out of the food would be a huge problem. I've been planning to mix it with Innova. Right now I'm still feeding the breeder's mix, but I think it's too high in fat (Blue Buffalo Wilderness).

Lilysmommy- Thank you for your input. It kind of sounds like when you switched to the cat food mix, her condition didn't really change.

It's just seeming to me that Spike's Delite is villified and then people just switch from it without researching it for themselves.

yeast culture, monosodium phosphate, sodium sulfate, ferric sulfate, magnesium oxide, cobalt sulfate, cane sugar,
zinc methionine complex, hydrochloric acid, yucca schidigera extract, algae meal, diatomaceous earth,
cobalt choline citrate complex, ferric choline citrate complex, calcium pantothenate, copper choline citrate complex,
Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

When Amelia was on Spikes Delight before I got her, she looked absolutely terrible and her eyes were hazed over.
No food you feed them should have THAT many ingredients.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think that grains are basically considered fillers even the healthier digestible grains like brown rice. The fact that extruded brown rice is on the list twice is suspicious to me. if those two amounts were put together would it be the first ingredient? Also good foods that have grains will have multiple different types of grains, as well brown rice it would have barley for example, the oat groats are ok but not great. Grains and vegetables have incomplete proteins and need to be paired in order to provide the best nutritional benefit.

Soybean meal is a filler and it is the third ingredient, there are no vegetables and the chicken meal is the only meat source. Although grains are not bad for hedgehogs I doubt they would eat that many of them in their natural habitat. the whole dried egg and the blood meal are pretty far down the list so it's hard to say if they are beneficial.

There is a lot more soy on this list than I would like to see, most animals are allergic to soy and it's hard to say if actually provides any nutritional benefit to the animal.

If the food included more meat sources and vegetables they would not need to add in so many enzymes and vitamins. The stuff at the end of the list that you say hedgehogs may forage for are ok ingredients but probably too far down to really make a difference, some of those I'm not sure hedgehogs are even supposed to eat, I'm pretty sure garlic is on the unsafe food list. If you wanted him to have some of this stuff in his diet it would be much better to try feeding it fresh.

Note about garlic: most cat and dog foods do include garlic in small amounts and I guess that the amounts are small enough to not do any harm, however you would not want to feed hedgehogs, cats or dogs whole garlic cloves and I doubt that it provides any nutritional benefits.

Those are the reasons I don't think this is a good food.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for the opinions. Christemo, I will definitely take into consideration your experience!

What I keep trying to say is that in a dog or cat food, YES this would be a very junky food. However, for a hedgehog, the soybean meal, oat groats, etc can be a very good source of roughage. I think a hedgehog's diet in the wild would have more. It also has great protein, fat and fiber % for hedgehogs! I've never seen better.

As far as "no food should have that many ingredients", that doesn't make too much sense to me, since the recommended cat foods have as many or in may cases, MORE ingredients, including fruits and vegetables, and probiotics (which they would not get in the wild) but helps them maintain GOOD bacteria in their digestive system.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess I just don't understand why you think that a food that would be bad for a cat or dog would be good for hedgehogs. In the wild the majority of a hedgehogs diet in insects, not plants, so the inclusion of random shrubbery doesn't really make a good argument. A cat may occasionally eat some grass, but that doesn't mean you'd feed a cat a food that was low in meat products and included more plant products. The same is true of hedgehogs - their primary diet is the "meat" of bugs, so their food should be high in meat products as well.

Thank you ashjac18 for my Sherlock avatar
NoDivision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in