Treat List (Safe Fruits and Veggies) - Page 4 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default Re: Treat List (Safe Fruits and Veggies)

Okay, so you just put whatever piece of food in their little container and that's it? I wasn't sure if there was a certain way to go about it haha.

I'll definitely look into the cans, and maybe I'll try gutloading some mealies and seeing if she'll eat them then..I think I might look into trying to raise some waxworms to make sure Hannibell's not getting just the junk that they feed at waxworm farms or whatever. Hopefully she'll start taking to other insects as well, I'd like for her to have more of a variety.

I just keep coming up with more questions for you, I'm sorry, lol, but here's one more, and I promise I'm done. When feeding the 'live' type of insect, say regular live worms or crickets or whatever; if one of the 'live' ones dies, is it still safe to feed it to the hedgie? (as opposed to feeding them frozen or freeze dried one), does that make any sense?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #32 (permalink)

Yep, you just toss a piece of fruit/veggie in their container and they'll eat it if they're hungry.

That does make sense! I honestly debate over this myself, especially when I have perfectly good full grown roaches that die, that I hate to waste. Unfortunately I usually say that unless they've died very recently and are "fresh", it's best not to feed them. As soon as they die their insides start rotting, and if you aren't sure how long it's been it's probably best to be safe and just toss them.

Shnoot likes this.
LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #33 (permalink)

Glad to know I'm not the only one, haha..but that's good to hear, because I've just been tossing them if they're dead and I wasn't sure if it was a waste or not.

Thanks again for all the info!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Hi I am a new Hedgie mom. I got a handsome albino hedgie named Sebastian.
Question as treats I have been giving him
Dried Meal worms (he loves them)
Friskies Wet Chicken dinner food (i checked the label)
I have given him raisins but he don't care for them he picks them out
But he like dried banana if i break them up for him
he likes apples and bannanas
is it okay for him to eat spiders, on crawled past him the other day and he ate it? it was just a small house spider but wasn't sure if that safe?

One thing I didn't see on there is Parsley? is it okay to give him?
shirohedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hey there!

As I said on the food list question as well, I would switch to live mealworms over dried - there's less chance of impaction or constipation problems from live ones. Friskies isn't a good brand at all, so I wouldn't offer anything from them. Friskies, Whiskas, Fancy Feast, they're all bad foods.

Don't give him raisins anymore - grapes are toxic to dogs and potentially dangerous to hedgehogs, so we don't recommend feeding either grapes or raisins, to be safe. I commented on the dried banana in the other thread as well - I'd avoid those and stick with fresh, especially if he already likes that.

Try to keep him from eating wild insects. Sometimes it can be hard, and usually the occasional accident won't cause problems, but wild insects could be exposed to pesticides, parasites, and spiders could be toxic. Hedgehogs are pretty hardy, but accidents do happen, and personally, I like to err on the safe side.

There's a thread about herbs, but I'm on the wrong computer and don't have it bookmarked here...But basically, herbs in general don't make the best treats because many of them have medicinal properties and some can have quite strong effects. The dosages for humans are pretty small for some of these herbs, so they'd be almost nothing for hedgehogs - so giving them even a little bit could be an overdose.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #36 (permalink)

Well, as many others, my hedgie is picky. Doesn't really like carrots... barely tolerates a bite. Doesn't like green lettuce. Doesn't like asparagus. Seems to like bananas ok. Will try apple tomorrow.

I am trying to increase the fiber in his diet a bit. I can't tell if he is straining to poop because he does get it out in a quick fashion and it isn't too strange of a color and consistency is what I assume to be more or less normal. How can I tell? He looks... concentrated? But He doesn't seem to be in pain, just like he is really pushing. The really hard push leads me to believe he might need a little more fiber.

His current kibble is at 7-8% fiber and I give him mealies regularly. (Maybe too many?). Should I keep encouraging veggies to see if he'll eat them for added fiber? How do I tell if he is constipated? How much fiber is too much? I'd assume his stools would be runny if I was giving him too much.

Also, if I am just giving him mealies as treats (primarily) and supplementing with fruits and veggies on a regular to daily basis, how many mealies is too many to give? right now I give him about 3 a day :S. Maybe this is too many? I'm never sure with this whole fat vs. fiber vs. protein vs. phosphorus vs. whatever else food stuff. haha I just want to be sure that he is getting all he needs but not too much.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalahedgielution
Well, as many others, my hedgie is picky. Doesn't really like carrots... barely tolerates a bite. Doesn't like green lettuce. Doesn't like asparagus. Seems to like bananas ok. Will try apple tomorrow.
Cant really help you there with the fiber...Fiona has NO trouble going. trust me butttt, if your hedgie likes bananas (and apples) gerber makes a banana apple baby food. Fiona doesnt really take well to fresh veggies/fruits, but I really wanted to incorporate them into her food. Well, she LOVES the gerber stuff haha its real cheap and can be frozen to save for later. she was stubborn at first so i rubbed a little on her mouth so she'd lick it off. now she cant get enough. just a suggestion good luck with the "concentrated" pooping lol
Shnoot likes this.

Rest easy little girl, may you finally be at peace <3
Mommy will always love you sweetie
2/17/11-3/11/13
fionas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #38 (permalink)

hmmm but wouldn't the added sugar antagonize the situation? :/ I eat a ton of fresh veggies and fruits, so I don't mind sharing. hehe But I think I will get some on hand I.C.O.E.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #39 (permalink)

What types of liquids can you let your hedgehog drink other than water?
Lexis6011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #40 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Fruit juices from fruits you've squeezed/juiced yourself (or veggies, if you have a juicer that does those) would probably not be terrible, but there's really no point - the added sugar from fruit juice wouldn't be great for their teeth anyway. I think the only time I've seen someone mentioning adding something to their hedgie's water is adding honey or just a bit of something sweet to the water to encourage a sick hedgie to drink, or if the water source has changed and they're not drinking as much. Animals do just fine drinking water.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in