Treat List (Safe Fruits and Veggies) - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Treat List (Safe Fruits and Veggies)

I'll Stick to mealworms then xD poor thing she did love her grapes (has had 3 in all her life :P)
Shnoot likes this.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum thing so if I'm doing this wrong I apologize. I have a quick question, my mother bought my hedgie some "Ferret Bites" which are banana/raisin flavored. I've read different things saying raisins are toxic and then other sites that just say they are a choking hazard? Wondering if anybody could clear this up for me? And whether or not I can give those treats?
Ablair4611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Welcome! I wouldn't feed them, yes, raisins can be a choking/chewing hazard (really chewy and sticky for a tiny hedgehog mouth) but the main problem is that they have caused renal failure in hedgehogs the same they can do in dogs. Better safe than sorry!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Grapes are considered to be a dangerous food because they're toxic for dogs, so we advise to avoid them with hedgehogs as well. I'd suggest extending that to raisins too, since they're just dried grapes. So the treats having raisin paste in the ingredients would keep me from feeding them, but...to be honest, the ingredients in general would keep me from feeding them to anything, especially ferrets. There's nothing at all nutritious in them, and your hedgie would be better off with some healthier treats like insects or plain cooked chicken or turkey. Can your mom return the treats at all?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quick question about giving them insects and stuff as treats!

How much of any given insect would you recommend giving them a day, assuming they are being given as treats? I just learned today that Hannibell likes wax worms, but I'm not sure how many would be too many for her.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Quick question about giving them insects and stuff as treats!

How much of any given insect would you recommend giving them a day, assuming they are being given as treats? I just learned today that Hannibell likes wax worms, but I'm not sure how many would be too many for her.
It really depends on how much weight she can stand to gain. Waxworms are pretty much as fatty as they come, at more than 60% fat on a dry matter basis. Mealworms are also very fatty. Crickets, while not terribly nutritious, aren't as fatty, and any of the variety of feeder roaches aren't as fatty and are a great, low-fat, highly nutritious addition to the diet. Insects like crickets, darkling beetles (the beetles mealies turn into) and roaches can pretty much be fed as much as you want without having a huge effect on weight. I personally like to aim for around 1/4th of the food fed each night being insects. Just be careful and limit how many mealworms and waxworms you feed a hedgehog that's already a good weight, I usually reserve waxworms to just ones that need to deliberately gain weight, feed mealies regularly to my more petite guys, and then feed them more sparingly as an occasional treat to the others that are already a good weight. Any that are overweight never get mealies or waxworms.

Shnoot likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks so much...that information was more than helpful. My only concern is that I know Hedgies need (or should at least have) at least a few insects in their diet, and wax worms are the only ones she will eat. Do you have any suggestions as to how to get her to eat other insects that wouldn't be as fatty? She's on the underweight side of things (not unhealty, she's just not as big as most hedgies usually are), and runs on her wheel constantly during the night, so I don't think her getting overweight is much of a concern as long as I don't feed her tons of them, but all the same, I'd like to be able to give her a variety, and she won't eat any of the others. What would you suggest?
Shnoot likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

What have you tried, and have you left them in her cage overnight (versus just offering during the day) or tried putting them in her food dish instead of a separate treat dish? Did you try live or dead? If live, what did you gut load with? There are a lot of little things hedgies can like or dislike, so you can try live bugs gutloaded on a variety of things (try berries - that's how some of mine decided roach guts were yummy, though any fruit or veggie will do), you can try freezing them and then offering the dead thawed bugs, you can try offering dried bugs (just not as many, or if you do potentially soak them in water to rehydrate them a bit). Some hedgies need to have them mixed into their food before they understand they're for eating. Definitely see if you can try some different flavors, mealies, mealie beetles, roaches, crickets, even the canned grasshoppers or snails from Fluker's, in addition to the waxworms. For judging how much weight she could stand to gain, I go by "squish" on the belly, since an overhead view or judging by whether they can roll into a ball has been totally inaccurate in my experience. If she starts getting a little squishy, I'd cut back. But if she's active and just runs it all off, there's no reason not to give her fattier bugs more often!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've tried mealies, both live and dried, I've tried different sizes and live and dried crickets, but haven't been able to bring myself to try roaches yet. I have left them in her food dish overnight as well as offered them during the day, and still, the only thing she goes for are wax worms; I almost wonder if it's a texture thing for her now, as she seems to like food on the softer side anyway.

Now I feel kind of ignorant though...I don't know how to go about gut loading the worms; I thought you could only do that if you were breeding them yourself? And the canned grasshoppers and snails, is there anything you have to do to them before giving them to her, or can you just give them to her right out of the can?

As far as her 'squish' goes, she's completely fine..she gets her bellyrubs all the time, so I'm always feeling for if she gets a little squishier..determining whether or not she can ball up could be more difficult because she just simply doesn't haha. She's not a skiddish hedgie at all, and hardly ever even huffs at anyone, either, so the only times she balls up are now and then when she's sleeping, but she did it just the other day without a problem, so I don't think her weight is much of an issue. I will keep an eye out for it though.

One last question for you; are you able to breed wax worms like you can breed mealies, and how do you go about gutloading them?

Thank you again for all the information, this is above and beyond helpful, I can't thank you enough.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

No problem, I'm glad I can help! She's probably taken to the waxworms because they're so fatty, along with it being the texture - think of her eating them being like a human eating one of those soft, circle sugar cookies with the cake of frosting and sprinkles on top. I imagine that's what they're like to hedgies. For gut loading, you can gut load any bugs you're offering live - what I usually do (for ones I don't raise myself) is feed them apple/carrot/whatever we have on hand for 2-3 days before feeding them off, to make sure they have good food in their bellies and not whatever unknown crap they were eating before - or, just to fill them up if they had nothing in them at all. The canned bugs you can feed straight out of the can, and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to refrigerate the can once it's opened. I've never used one but I've heard they don't smell great! To hedgies that might be a completely different story though. I've contemplated trying offering snails, we'll see if I ever fork over the money for those overpriced cans. She may like them because they're softer.

For raising waxworms, they're one I've been thinking of getting started, it's just deciding whether they're worth the effort - mealworms are the easiest feeder to produce ever, waxworms (which turn into moths) are picky, delicate little creatures that are a bit higher maintenance. If you look up "how to raise waxworms" I'm sure you can find some tutorials and see if it'd be worth it to you. Since you'd be raising them yourself, you wouldn't have to worry about gut loading them since they'd always have good food in them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in