How to transition the breeder cat food to the cat food I chose - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to transition the breeder cat food to the cat food I chose

My breeder right now uses the nutrience kitten, Iam's adult indoor weight control, and royal canin adult light. I just want to add the Organix chicken and Brown rice. Is 4 dry cat food too much?
Jordancutie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nope, not too many. There are people that use up to 7-8 foods in their mix, though most of the ones I know of are breeders. The biggest drawback with more foods is that with only one or two hedgehogs, you're more likely to have it get stale before they eat it all.

To switch, mix in the Organix slowly over 2 or so weeks (since you're just adding it to a mix instead of switching completely).

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Nope, not too many. There are people that use up to 7-8 foods in their mix, though most of the ones I know of are breeders. The biggest drawback with more foods is that with only one or two hedgehogs, you're more likely to have it get stale before they eat it all.

To switch, mix in the Organix slowly over 2 or so weeks (since you're just adding it to a mix instead of switching completely).
What if I want to completely change the food? Or what if I just want to remove one dry cat food?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you're going to do a complete change, it should be a bit slower, over 4 weeks or so, depending on how your hedgie adjusts to the change. If you're just removing one food from a mix, you can probably get away with a bit faster, but really, it's all kind of playing it by ear. Just keep an eye on hedgie's poop & if you notice any green in it, you slow down the change a bit more. The biggest risk with adding or changing to something new too fast is that your hedgie might eat less or stop eating completely to protest the change, which can be dangerous for their health. They're really good at eating strikes sometimes, and they shouldn't go longer than 1-2 days without food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
If you're going to do a complete change, it should be a bit slower, over 4 weeks or so, depending on how your hedgie adjusts to the change. If you're just removing one food from a mix, you can probably get away with a bit faster, but really, it's all kind of playing it by ear. Just keep an eye on hedgie's poop & if you notice any green in it, you slow down the change a bit more. The biggest risk with adding or changing to something new too fast is that your hedgie might eat less or stop eating completely to protest the change, which can be dangerous for their health. They're really good at eating strikes sometimes, and they shouldn't go longer than 1-2 days without food.
Okay, thank you so much!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I just found out that one of the cat food that my breeder is using has 20% fat. Should I still feed this to my hedgehog and the slowly take it out of the diet or should I just completely not feed it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in