Wet food and baby food? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wet food and baby food?

Okay so Diggory had a vet appointment today to finally find out what is going on with his not pooing issues. They sedated him and did xrays and everything and he doesn't have any kind of a blockage. So they think his occasional bouts of not eating are just stress related. I was told to give him some wet cat food and sweet potato baby food(because I had to force feed the pumpkin last time, we are hoping he likes this better) to get his bowels moving. I don't know how to buy wet food for hedgies though, because I know that fat content is listed different on there, what am I looking for that will be healthy for him? Also, what stage of baby food do I get?

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wet food and baby food?

A big thing to worry about with wet food is the protein. It's a lot higher than it says, because of the moisture. The calculations are:
100% - moisture content = dry mass%
Fat % / dry mass % x100 = dry mass fat %

Generally wet dog food has lower protein and fat then cat food.

For baby food, most people use Stage 2.
HedgieGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I personally don't pay much attention to the stage for baby food, I just kind of get whatever has different veggies and such, and just double check the ingredients to make sure there's nothing extra. Typically, the stage 1 and 2 foods are non-chunky ones, that don't have things like pasta and such added to them. If I remember right, stage 1 usually has just one ingredient, so that's where you'd find just plain sweet potato baby food. Stage 2 mixes different things together, so you'd find something like chicken & sweet potato. If he turns his nose up at plain sweet potato baby food, you might try mixing in a bit of plain chicken or turkey baby food, or getting one of the already mixed ones and see if the meat being in there encourages him at all. I know Lily would try any fruit/veggie baby food that was mixed with chicken or turkey.

For wet food, you can look in the same brands as what's usually recommended for dry foods. You do have to do a bit of math to calculate the dry-matter protein percentage. Kalandra explains how in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11177&hilit=+affecting If the wet cat food is more of a treat thing or occasional thing than an every night thing, though, I wouldn't worry quite so much about getting the protein really low.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh by the way, I meant to type "bouts of not pooping" instead of eating. Wanted to clear that up so no one worried. He is eating normally.

So those calculations you told me don't say anything about protein. What am I looking for protein wise?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Personally, I'd aim for anywhere from 30-40%, since it's a small amount that he'll eat, and it won't be offered regularly.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
I personally don't pay much attention to the stage for baby food, I just kind of get whatever has different veggies and such, and just double check the ingredients to make sure there's nothing extra. Typically, the stage 1 and 2 foods are non-chunky ones, that don't have things like pasta and such added to them. If I remember right, stage 1 usually has just one ingredient, so that's where you'd find just plain sweet potato baby food. Stage 2 mixes different things together, so you'd find something like chicken & sweet potato. If he turns his nose up at plain sweet potato baby food, you might try mixing in a bit of plain chicken or turkey baby food, or getting one of the already mixed ones and see if the meat being in there encourages him at all. I know Lily would try any fruit/veggie baby food that was mixed with chicken or turkey.

For wet food, you can look in the same brands as what's usually recommended for dry foods. You do have to do a bit of math to calculate the dry-matter protein percentage. Kalandra explains how in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11177&hilit=+affecting If the wet cat food is more of a treat thing or occasional thing than an every night thing, though, I wouldn't worry quite so much about getting the protein really low.
I'm not sure how often it will be. Because if it makes him poop I may want to keep him on it. And the vet was kind of leaning towards keeping him on it too. Or at least giving it periodically to keep things moving.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I"m kind of curious, does the vet think it'll make him poop more because of added moisture, or something else? Maybe I"m just all mixed up here (completely likely ), but I thought more protein/meat means more constipation, whereas fiber would help with constipation and moving things along. Do I have that backwards or something?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

It is more fiber which is where the sweet potato comes in, but she also said the moisture of the wet food will help. It seems like she'd rather him be on that instead of dry all together but I don't know about that because I don't know what time of the night he will want to eat it and it will dry out and blah.

Also if this doesn't get him moving in a couple days, I'm to call them back and they will give him medicine that will kind of flush him out.

This vet was great. I'm so happy I finally found one that knows what they are talking about, and she didn't even try to sell me "hedgehog food"!!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ah, okay! If you're thinking you might make it an every night thing then, I'd definitely aim for mid-30s on protein, but I've recently read/been told that provided the hedgie doesn't have any pre-existing kidney conditions, slightly higher protein isn't going to cause major problems. Just to warn you though, if you're looking in cat food, you may have to do quite a few calculations before you find one that's less than 40%. Like HedgieGirl said, wet dog food's usually lower in protein, wet cat food tends to be pretty high.

Good luck, I hope the diet changes will help get him more regular! And that's great that you found a good vet! I still feel so lucky that I got along so well with Lily's vet, he's a great guy. I never realized until I joined the forums here and had been on awhile how hard it is to find a good vet.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is there really any difference between the cat and dog food? Should I just get that instead??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in