My hedgehog's food bowl - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By Norah

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog's food bowl

My family keep teasing me about me being too overly concerned about my hedgehog's well being. She is my first pet and I do worry about her a lot ... And this post reflects it. This is her diet at the moment, it's a mix of what works and what she seems to be loving. Insects are an extra treat so you won't find them in the bowl, but it contains -

Wellness Core Turkey and Chicken hard kibbles
Wellness Core Divine duo Chicken and duck soft food
Hard boiled egg white
A little bit of apple

Do you guys think it's ok? I think she loves this mix, she goes crazy for the egg whites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170503_192241.jpg (141.2 KB, 25 views)
Norah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Heh, my family acted the same way with my first hedgehog! Now that I have my two current girls, they've gotten used to it for the most part. Your hedgie is lucky to have such a devoted owner! That said, I do have a couple suggestions regarding your diet for her.

I wouldn't give egg whites every day - simple explanation, they have a protein (avidin) that can cause a nutritional deficiency (biotin deficiency) over time. I'm not sure how much of a risk it is as an addition to balanced kibble, but IMO, still not a great idea. It'd be better to feed both egg whites & yolk once or twice a week instead. She doesn't need quite that much egg, and feeding both whites & yolk makes it more balanced.

Likewise, she doesn't need apple every day as fruit is high in sugar. It should also be a treat once or twice a week.

Wellness Core is a good kibble ingredient-wise, but it's a bit high in protein for hedgehogs, at 45%. It'd be a good idea to mix a second kibble in with her mix that's lower in protein - 30% protein or less. That way you won't have to completely take away the food you know she likes. The wet food is totally fine, just keep an eye on her body weight in case she gains too much. But I like including wet food in the diet as well, for extra moisture.
nikki and Norah like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Heh, my family acted the same way with my first hedgehog! Now that I have my two current girls, they've gotten used to it for the most part. Your hedgie is lucky to have such a devoted owner! That said, I do have a couple suggestions regarding your diet for her.

I wouldn't give egg whites every day - simple explanation, they have a protein (avidin) that can cause a nutritional deficiency (biotin deficiency) over time. I'm not sure how much of a risk it is as an addition to balanced kibble, but IMO, still not a great idea. It'd be better to feed both egg whites & yolk once or twice a week instead. She doesn't need quite that much egg, and feeding both whites & yolk makes it more balanced.

Likewise, she doesn't need apple every day as fruit is high in sugar. It should also be a treat once or twice a week.

Wellness Core is a good kibble ingredient-wise, but it's a bit high in protein for hedgehogs, at 45%. It'd be a good idea to mix a second kibble in with her mix that's lower in protein - 30% protein or less. That way you won't have to completely take away the food you know she likes. The wet food is totally fine, just keep an eye on her body weight in case she gains too much. But I like including wet food in the diet as well, for extra moisture.

Thank you so much, these are great suggestions. I will definitely get a lower protein hard kibbles as well. And i know she shouldn't be getting apple every day, it's just that she loves it so much Good thing I don't have kids. I'd be buying them chocolates all the time... Anyway, less fruits it is.

I live in the Czech republic and there is only a handful of breeders here. I'm really thankful for your advice and for this forum because not only there's no official czech forum for african pygmy hedgehogs, but from what I noticed on other forums where people discuss pets and stuff, nobody takes hedgehog diet too seriously. They would feed them low quality cat food, dinner leftovers ... and it's not even considered anything bad. Around here, I am the crazy one

Thanks again!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Norah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in