Should I start a 4 month old on rc babycat? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I start a 4 month old on rc babycat?

So pashmina is very very thin in the back. Definitely this shape) (. Diggory eats rc babycat and always has, should we give that to mina too or would it be too much of a hassle to get her hooked on it when she's this old? She runs all night long and into the morning so maybe she could always stay on it?? I just worry about getting her hooked on it if we'll have to take it away in a couple months.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Should I start a 4 month old on rc babycat?

I'm not really sure how good of an idea this is, so nutrition experts feel free to weigh in... Maybe you could give her some sort of mix with RC babycat or another higher fat food in it along with a lower fat food. That way she's not eating too much of the high fat food, but enough to put some weight on and it might be a bit easier to slowly wean her off it.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, what food is she on right now? If she's on a low fat food, try the regular adult. Those tend to be around 18% fat so it's not a huge increase and it sounds like she could use that bit of fat. You can also slowly increase the number of mealworms, and you can also try waxworms.

If she's a huge runner it's possible she may need kitten food. Do you weigh regularly? If not, start now as you're playing around with her food so that you know what works and what doesn't.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

She's on Blue Buffalo Longevity Mature cat food right now. That's what Diggory is on too but he also gets rc baby cat food mixed in. I think she needs all that fat but I'm kind of worried that she's going to taste it and never want her other food again. It took me ages to get diggory to finally eat both. And we weighed her last night and she weighs 290g which is the exact same as diggory but they definitely carry it differently.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

most hedgies will take to most kinds of royal canin pretty eagerly no matter what their age. at 4 months old you can actually add in some royal canin kitten food instead of the baby cat. i can't remember the exact difference in fat, but its not much difference until you get to the adult formula if i remember right (it's been awhile since i've had to use babycat). if you're wanting her to gain weight you need the adult formula though. add it in slowly though so she dosen't get an upset stomach. maybe add like a 1/4 of what you need for it to be 50% (50% of this 50% of other kind) this week and another 1/4 next week and keep going each week until you have them equally mixed.
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in