Abrupt change of food - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Abrupt change of food

Hi all,

I've been posting a few threads relating to issues with little Mister Maximus the Hog (19 months), who has been having eating problems lately.

There are several issues at play here, and I'm trying to keep on top of them all. He's being regularly monitored by the vet, too, which is good.

The issue I would like to discuss here is how to deal with an abrupt change of food. I mentioned this before in one of my threads, but it seems to be the main issue with Max right now (the previous main problem, constipation, has been dealt with).

Background:

The problems started when Max's usual food, Acana Wild Prairie for cats, changed its formula to add significantly more fish. The kibbles now smell perceptibly of fish. The protein and fibre balance of the food changed too. Max is a choosy hog, as many are, and he doesn't care one bit for the new food.

The change of food happened abruptly, because we'd bought the same type of food he was used to and expected it to be the same, and so we didn't think of transitioning it gradually.

Max won't eat it. We'll be changing foods anyway, though, because when we took him to the vet, it turns out he was very overweight and needed to be put on a lower-fat food. The vet suggested Hills r/d, which Max seems to prefer to the changed Acana formula. He would eat some of the kibbles when we offered them to him by hand, whereas he wouldn't even go near the Acana.

Since then, though, he's stopped eating the Hills altogether. We've tried him on a whole bunch of recommended foods often discussed on the forums here (egg, various veggies, etc.) and the only thing he will touch is cooked chicken or turkey, which are his favourite things in the world. And even with these, he'll only eat a bit. He will eat multiple times a day if we give him time to rest between feedings (he usually needs an hour or so to recover and won't eat if we wake him from a deep sleep to feed).

He used to eat kibble with the chicken, but not anymore. He wised up, and started taking the kibble with the chicken, cleaning the chicken off and spitting the kibble out. Clever little fellow, but unfortunately not for his own good...

So my question is: how should I go about getting Max to eat his (new) kibble, which he has shown he *will* eat, but is not eating on his own? Is there a strategy to help transition a hog to a new food if the change has been abrupt?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151004_210719.jpg (83.1 KB, 9 views)
TevaVidal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Honestly, I'd ditch the Hills. Vets like the company because of the research they do, but the ingredients are seriously awful. You can find better foods with low fat and if he won't eat it, it's not going to help him anyway. I would take a look at the stickies in the Nutrition forum (if you haven't already) and see if you can find something else to try him on. If you're concerned about him being picky, a lot of companies will sell or send you sample bags, and some pet stores have sample bags on hand.
FinnickHog likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning in that direction too, thinking that the Hills wasn't really doing the trick for the poor little fellow.

So then, would you just suggest just shopping around and trying him on samples of decent food until we hit on something he actually shows signs of liking?

I'll need to stimulate his appetite too, I think...

Old 03-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, that'd probably be the best way to find something he likes. And yup, in the meantime, you'll need to syringe-feed him to make sure he's still getting enough food in him. There's info on syringing in the Health FAQ section. Alternatively, if you can make some kind of mix that he's willing to eat, even if it's not super balanced, that'll work short-term (for a few weeks at most) until you find a kibble he likes. Something like baby food with wet cat food or crushed kibble mixed in, chicken blended together with one of those things, etc. might tempt him.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok then, the quest is on! Time to find the perfect menu for my foodie hog! Thanks for the advice.

BTW, Max's activity level is very stable and he doesn't show any other sign of distress, so I'm encouraged by that...

Another question re: syringe feeding & appetite stimulation coming in another thread...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in