New baby hedgie was eating but stopped - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New baby hedgie was eating but stopped

Hey all, I've been digging through this forum and reading lots of posts that are kind of similar, but would love some advice.

I have a new baby hedgie, Mr. Prickles. He is roughly 7.5 weeks old ad I got him from the breeder on Sunday, so we're definitely still getting to know each other and I'm still trying to learn his habits and preferences. I had no insight into what he was eating at the breeder's, but for the first few days he was eating the cat food I got him and liked it just fine. Was eating and drinking normally.

I was trying to be diligent but gentle with the bonding and trust building, but the past day or so he was showing a little bit of green poop--not very much, but it was there. So I think I may have overwhelmed him. The rest of his poop was a healthy brown and was moist but not diarrhea.

I was trying to introduce him to some freeze dried mealies--which I have now seen on the forum are not as recommended--but he was not interested in them at all when I tried to offer them. I crushed them up and put them in his bowl with the kibble about nights ago, and he has not touched it these past two nights. Was still pooping, but obviously less since he is not eating. I replaced the food with fresh kibble, no mealies, and I hope he will get back to eating today.

I'm hoping it's just a little stress and that he didn't like the mealworms or their smell. He loves his storm bucket wheel and has been active and chipper. But I'm seeing on the boards that I should go ahead and consider syringe feeding and a vet visit--I have a vet picked out but he hasn't been there for a visit yet (just got him less than a week!) I have a scale and am monitoring his weight daily--yesterday he was 162 g (what a little baby) and will see tonight if he has lost weight. hopefully not.

I was trying to find info on what is good to syringe feed him, but all I could find was a lot of info on how to administer medicine--but baby food with meat and veggies is what I'm seeing most of? It's also worth mentioning he is very skittish and balls up at the slightest bristle of noise, so I'm curious as to how to syringe feed him when he is continuously a ball (obviously with lots of patience!)

I guess what I'm really asking is for fact checking, someone to check my logic, anybody with advice for a very anxious new hedgie owner. <3 I love him so much!

Last edited by SinMin667; 07-01-2016 at 03:35 PM.
SinMin667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

That honestly doesn't sound too scary yet. He's still getting settled in with you, and the green poops are likely just from stress and a complete change of diet. I'm surprised the breeder didn't provide you with food or at least give you a name. Can you call and ask what he was eating before you picked him up? We typically suggest keeping them on the same food the breeder was feeding for two weeks after bringing them home, just to make the transition easier on his tummy. It's likely a bit upset now, and it may have put him off his food.

Is he still drinking? Are you counting his kibble before you feed him and when you check him in the morning so you know for sure nothing was eaten? One night my baby boy ate 5 kibbles and that was it, but I'd been counting so I could tell the difference.

I wouldn't bother syringing him yet since he's new and it was just one night. If he's still drinking, make sure you count his kibble tonight if you haven't been, and skip the mealworms for now. Hopefully he remembers he's hungry tonight and has a nibble. If he doesn't, tomorrow you can try buying a decent quality pate style wet cat food (I'm currently feeding mine a mix of foods from the Merrick line) and you can offer that in a dish, or stick the syringe in his ball of quills next to his nose and see if here's interested in that. If he still won't eat after that, we'll have to re-evaluate.

Short version for tonight: skip the mealies, count his kibble, make sure he's still drinking, try to find out what he was eating before with the breeder and give him that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in