is there anyway i can NOT feed hedgie cat food? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ashley82
Default is there anyway i can NOT feed hedgie cat food?

if i have to continue with the kibble a little bit thats fine but my penelope is getting really chunky and i'd like to get her weight down.

is there anyway i can only feed her insects/fruits/veggies/meat?

if so how?
does anyone else do this?
how expensive would it be?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: is there anyway i can NOT feed hedgie cat food?

What kind of cat food does she eat? There are other ways to deal with a weight issue with a hedgehog, besides removing the cat food. The first step would be to look at the protein/fat percentages in the food she currently eats, and possibly switch her to a cat food with a lower fat content.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

well she's on purina kitten chow right now because one day when i ran out of food i had to buy her whatever i could find at the time. so now that the bag of purina is getting kind of low i'm gonna switch her over to the chicken soup for the pet lovers soul or whatever its called. but i'd really like to get her diet to be primarily real food.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the opposite problem...I'd rather mine eat her kibble but she won't unless I mix them in. I think this is because I spoiled her with real food lol!
I still feed her a 3 type mix of kibble but I crush it then mix it in her REAL food. I've not found it expensive to feed her but the prep is a bit much. I was able to prepare enough fresh foods in one day to freeze in ice cube trays for her ...that lasts about 4 mths so not too bad. She gets cooked chicken or scrambled egg, sometimes beef on occasion. To that I add a cube of veggie (last time I did broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, butternut squash, yams so I rotate each night then I mix it all up with her crushed kibbles I also give her cantelope and honey dew at times.

I suppose one could just feed a home cooked diet all the time by figuring out the nutrient values for each...I'd rather she eat her kibble tho so I knew she was getting what she needs.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

can you go into a little bit more detail about the ice cube tray idea?

also what combination of kibble do you feed her?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I cook and purée all her veggies, meat I steam (to get the cooked fats off and be the most healthy possible) scrambled egg I do in the microwave.

I put them in ice cube trays overnight then the next day I bag each type of food up separately and label them. I place all the meats/protein in one container and all the bagged veggies in another. Each night I choose a meat or egg-veggie combo. I suspect one could put the meats and veggies together but if they start having an issue with a food you are kinda screwed.

I find regular ice cube size is kind of a lot so I found some smaller ones that are only about a tsp for the veggies because a regular ice cube is about 4 tsp What I like about the ice cube trays is that it is easy to keep track of how many days worth of food you have
Old 01-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Kibble I feed Innova low fat, Solid Gold katz n Flocken and NOW! Grain free senior
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

that sounds like a good idea. one day of prep for 4 months of food.

how long does it take for it to thaw? do you reheat it?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I take it out in the morning and let it sit in the fridge for the day until an hr or so before I feed her. If I forget I just nuke it for a few seconds and let it cool.

It took some calculating and messing around but by crushing her kibble I was able to figure out that 2 tsp of what I feed crushed = about 44 kibbles plus her meat and veggies. She would NEVER eat 44 kibbles if I just added them in lol.

The downside of feeding like that is that I worry what her teeth are going to look like by the time she is 3 y/o. I leave a bowl of regular kibble with her all the time and put her mealies in there but she never touches the kibble ha
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

i'm gonna seriously consider trying that. i'll have to get a job first though. i don't think my mom would buy veggies and such specifically for penelope. haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in