Updated (May 2016) Recommended Dry Cat Food List - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

I'm on the eastern side, I've looked at my local pet supply stores, walmart, sobeys, super store, the vets and at the co op, but maybe its because where i live is really rural
kelseyfougere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

You will benefit from knowing how to recognize good food from bad. Read over the beginners guide nutrition, sorry I'm on mobile and can't link it for you.
I would even print it out, so you have it with you at the stores.
Any store that has a website, start there. Rule foods out as you go. Fat and protein are easy deal breakers for a person starting out.
If you find a store that has a few acceptable options, check and see if they actually carry it in the store. If not, check their shipping options.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default Too much protein?

Hello! I just bought (before reading this) Simply Nourish "Source" High protein-grain free, chicken and turkey recipe. (For kittens) It states crude protein is not less than 40%.

Is that too much protein? I have not opened the bag, so I am able to take it back for something else. Thanks for the advice!
BrittneyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Is that the only food your feeding, or is it part of a mix?
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2016, 01:45 AM   #25 (permalink)

Kelsey, you should be able to find the Acana, Orijen, and Wellness at most pet stores. Do you have Petland/Petsmart/PetValu anywhere near you? They'll have the best selection. If not, the vet is probably your next best bet. Ask if they can order something in for your hedgehog.

Here's a link to the nutrition stuff: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html

If you want to make us a list of what you can find, we can go through and help you decide on the bets ones.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

I feed dry Blue Buffalo Indoor Living Chicken Formula dry kibble (32% protein, 15% fat), and a small spoonful of wet Wellness Chicken Formula or wet Wellness Chicken and Beef Formula (10% protein per 3 oz 5% fat per 3 oz). I hoped that by adding the canned it could help add more %.
I saw some higher protein and fat foods, but they werent very high quality... Is there anything that could be better, that I could get my hand on? I live in the US (:

Momma of Clementine, an albino hedgie <3
Petlover500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggly View Post
I wish this list was out before I already exchanged food! My breeder has my boy on generic Aldi UK dry cat food. Obviously I'm not impressed with the brand and will transition him. I bought a small bag of Purina Go Cat as it is in the acceptable range for protein and fat while also not containing any ingredients from the sea (fish, fish oils, seaweed, etc.) which is hard to find in my area. Will this be ok for now? I also plan on feeding him fresh meat and vegetables. I'm not really familiar enough with UK brands yet but they mostly contain fish and loads of grains. I don't remember seeing the ones listed at Pets at Home but I also want seeking them out.
Hey, my hedgie ONLY accepts Purina Go Cat.. which I've heard that is not great quality, but hey what can I do I tried different brands with no luck. In fact he doesn't eat anything else (except of mealies). Also Fish oil is fine, as long as biscuits are meat based they can have some fish ingredients. Also, I recommend purina go cat indoor (reduced odour significantly !!! )
Zanka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

What is your opinion on Evo (The Ancestral Diet) brand dry cat food? It is a salmon/herring blend. The person I got my hedgie from was feeding him that. The bag says that it is grain free, 87% high-quality animal ingredients (such as herring, salmon, and eggs), 13% fruits and veggies. The person I got him from wasn't a breeder, so i just want to be positive that I'm giving him a healthy diet with all the nutrients he needs. He also LOVES pecans as treats (I break them up super small to prevent choking), but I've read that nuts are bad for them....opinions?
sammerbammmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 03:38 AM   #29 (permalink)

I don't know much about the Evo foods, because there isn't much solid information available. They didn't make the list because the ingredients are never listed by weight, and are instead sorted into categories and then listed in whatever order the manufacturer thinks looks the nicest. This means we can't tell if salmon or herring are the first ingredient, or if something else is. If you can find a website that lists the ingredients by weight I can give you a better breakdown, but as it stands, I just don't know how good this food is. It says it's 87% high quality animal ingredients, which should mean it's good, but I can't help but worry that something like pea fiber is the top ingredient. This food also contains "natural flavor" which could literally be anything that tastes like what they were aiming for flavor-wise.

I wouldn't feed it because by listing the ingredients the way they do I get the impression that they're hiding something. I'm very paranoid about what I feed though.

As for the pecans, nuts aren't digested very well by hedgehogs, so I'd cut those out of the diet too. You could probably give a very small piece once a week or more if you really wanted to, but nuts sit in hedgie tummies a really long time before they break down.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #30 (permalink)

merrick was recently bought by the purina company (known to have poor quality foods, and merrick may be no exception.) i heard about this through the dog community, so i'm sure it'll be more important for hedgehogs' nutritional needs.

Tags
dry, food, list, recommended

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in