OK, I know about cat food, what about dog food? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default OK, I know about cat food, what about dog food?

Whenever Jasper is out running around, his favorite destination is the dog food dish, and he loves to climb in and chow down. I assume this is OK, since cat food and dog food are fairly similar.

(It''s Iams Proactive 1+ if that matters.)
Rt1Hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sarahomnia
Default Re: OK, I know about cat food, what about dog food?

I wonder the same thing because we have dogs and not cats, so, if we could use my dog's food (after I check the contents and the fat and protein percentage, of course) then that would be fabulous.
My Mom just asked me about this about 30 minutes ago.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm not completely sure, but I think the main problem with most dog food is the size of the kibble. Cat food kibble is usually small enough for hedgies to eat easily. I would think that if the protein, fat, and ingredient contents were all hedgie-acceptable, it should be fine for them. But, I'm no expert, so wait and see what Reaper or someone else says.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to azyrios

Do not feed your hedgehog dog food.

Most dog food is corn based, which hedgehogs cannot properly digest.

Most dog food contains meat by-products as a 2nd or 3rd ingredient where as corn or rice are the first 2 ingredients.

Most dog food kibble is to large for a hedgehog to eat.

Dog food is high in fat and realitivly low in protein compared to cat food, and is not good for a hedgehogs diet.

There is no benefit to feeding your hedgehog any dog treats or food, and it does not meet their nutritional requirements.

(edit, there are a few dog foods that do meet a hedgehogs requirements, but usually tehy are quite costly, and are not already being fed to a wide range of dogs. My dog's each eat different food. I checked all 3 bags, and all three have a first ingredient of corn and a second of rice, with the third not being a meat or meat meal, but i by-product like guts, skin, liver, organs, blood and bone. Basically all human scrap goes into dog food.)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would not feed my dog or hedgies anything that is corn based or has by products I say if you would not eat it why give it to your pet which are my babies they all get organic foods that have no bad anything in it but I guess that's just how I see things!
Aleshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
ana

The food that the OP mentioned actually has chicken as the first ingredient. It's a bit high in fat and has corn meal as a second ingredient though, plus I also haven't really heard anything positive about Iams, so I, personally, wouldn't feed it to my hedgie... I probably wouldn't freak out if she ate a piece by accident or something (and had no trouble with the size/etc.), but I would suggest keeping to the official cat food list as far as daily diet is concerned.

This is a breakdown of the dog food mentioned btw:

Ingredients
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Chicken Meal, Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Flax Meal, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Caramel, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract.

Guaranteed Analysis
Nutrient (percent)
Crude Protein, minimum 26.0
Crude Fat, minimum 15.0
Crude Fiber, maximum 4.0
Moisture, maximum 10.0
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum 2.5*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum 0.25*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Iams® ProActive Health™ MiniChunks Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for Maintenance.

Manufactured under U.S. Patent Nos. 5,616,569, 5,932,258, 6,093,418 and 6,238,708; other U.S. and foreign patents pending.
ana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyrios
Do not feed your hedgehog dog food.

Most dog food is corn based, which hedgehogs cannot properly digest.

Most dog food contains meat by-products as a 2nd or 3rd ingredient where as corn or rice are the first 2 ingredients.
That's like saying don't feed your hedgie cat food.

Most of the good quality cat foods that are suitable for hedgehog requirements are expensive, also. There's a brand of cat food I want to get that's about $18 for a small bag at my local store, but it's a great brand and I'd like to see if my hedgie will eat it. There are some dog foods that are just as good as a good quality cat food--and some are less expensive for the same size bag. A bag of Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul costs about $12 at my local store; a bag of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul costs about $8. And they both have about the same ingredients. Store brands of food (like the kind sold in grocery stores and wal-mart) are usually made from corn and icky stuffs (even the cat foods) which is why "high quality" food is recommended, and not just "cat food". If you buy a store brand of food, even Meow Mix or 9 Lives, it's likely not going to be suitable for a hedgehog, and that's the food that's usually cheapest. If you go down to the pet store and pick up some Chicken Soup or some Wellness, that's a different story.

As long as the food meets the nutritional requirements, you can feed dog food to your hedgehog. You should always read the label where ANY animal is concerned. In some cases it's actually better because hedgie's need more fiber than cat foods get, and most dog foods have more fiber than cat foods. The problem is the size of the kibble, which can easily be worked around by breaking it up if you really want to use that food.

I would try to keep the hedgie away from the dog food bowl for other reasons than the food quality, although that could be taken into consideration. I would be more concerned about the bacteria that could be in the bowl from where the dog's been over there slobbering and eating during the day.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Reaper Send a message via Yahoo to Reaper

One of the other reasons dog food isn't good for hedgies is the hardness of the kibble. Some dog foods are very hard in order to keep a dogs teeth clean. Some even believe cat food is too hard for hedgies and they grind the kibble into much smaller and manageable pieces. You also can soften the food by increasing the moisture content but then the foods bacteria come alive and the food spoils quickly. Softer foods that aren't soft due to artificial softening agents needs to be refrigerated. Artificial softening agents have been linked to many health problems. So we are still trying to come up with the best all around food for our pet hedgies.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to azyrios

Okay, now i understand i should not have said "Do Not feed", and replaced it with "I suggest against feeding", but i said what i said, and here is some clarification:

My main point is most people will feed their dogs a corn based product. I know there are people who do the "i won't feed my animals something i won't eat" deal which is fine, if feed your dog a premium food, that's fine. My main point is "most" people i have met feed their dog a food that has corn as AN ingredient, if not in the first five. That is an ingredient hedgehogs cannot digest easily. For big dogs i have not had a problem with any of my dogs eating a corn based dog food, and they have all lived full, if not extended lives.

I know some small dogs have more fragile stomachs than those of the larger dogs i have owned and require a premium food. Unless you are already buying this premium food why would you go out of your way to buy a premium dog food as opposed to premium cat food (besides cost).

Dog food also contains a higher fat content on average than cat food, and with a hedgehog needing a low fat diet some of those dog foods will not be beneficial to feed it. I am sure you can fine low fat dog food, and if you can, more power to you. (I am not certain about premium food for small dogs, but i know my dog eats a food with a little higher fat content, and still maintains a very healthy weight.)
If it is more cost effective to buy a bag of dog food than a bag of cat food of the same size and it meets the hedgehog's dietary needs, go for it.

I just don't see the point of buying a premium dog food if your dogs don't already eat it. If your dogs already eat the premium dog food, then go ahead and feed it to your hedgie bearing in mind that it meets their requirements.

Also, the logic that you shouldn't feed something to your pets that you wouldn't eat is flawed. I defiantly would not plan on eating a bowl of meal worms for dinner, yet they are still fed to hedgehogs, but i have eaten my dog's food before because of a statement like that, and yes i tried my hedgies food before feeding it to him so i could taste what he was eating. On the other hand, i would also not feed my dog some of the stuff i eat (ie chocolate, chips, coffee) and i also eat corn and corn meal, so by that logic why would it be bad to feed to my hedgehog? Just because you would eat it doesn't make it good for something else, and if you had an animal that ate only mice, would you still feed it mice considering you may not have eaten a mouse before? The statement really doesn't work unless you feed your animal a plate of chicken you prepared and have eaten part of all the time.

I am not trying to start an argument as to how i feed my dogs, or that my advice may have been misreported, and i understand that i should have been more eloquent with my delivery. In the future i will insure to include that what i say is just my opinion, and report it as such.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Corn based dog foods are no better for dogs then they are for hedgies. Dogs cannot digest corn so its only a filler..makes them feel full. It passes right through them which in turn produces more fecal matter. There are alot of dog foods out there that contain no corn at all. When they are switched to a corn free diet its been proven that they eat alot less, poop alot less, have heathier coats and are just heathier in general. I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend to keep your dog heathy.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in