Great for a bit then back to stinky! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Default Great for a bit then back to stinky!

I have a 2-yr old male albino hedgehog who loves to eat. The problem is his urine smells foul.

I've have him on Royal Canin and he was great but then slowly I noticed his domain started to stink. I bathed him, scrubbed his cage, cleaned his wheel and litter box. And every time he was on the wheel the smell would come back and get worse.

I then switched him to Simply Nourish by the advice from people on here before and he was great! But now I'm noticing that he's beginning to stink again and its worse than before. I'm at a loss of what to do and what to feed him so please, any advice?

Many thanks from Chelsea and Stinkius Maximus.
BirchBeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
shinydistraction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,548
Default

Have you been to the vet? Bad smelling urine says to me that there may be a problem. I'd want to at least have the vet take a urine sample to be tested and see if it comes back with anything to be concerned about.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
FinnickHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Camrose, Alberta
Posts: 1,029
Default

If the vet says everything is alright, you may want to try bottled water if you aren't already. Depending on where you are in Canada, the tap water can be quite variable. Where I am it's fine 90% of the time and the other 10% it goes from "okay-ish" to "do not drink the water!" Slight changes in water quality could cause the stinky pee.
__________________
~Ashley
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Default

I'm in Ontario and we've never had an issue with the water before but that is definitely something I'll try! If that doesn't work then I will most likely have to take him to the vet.

So its not the food I should be worried about? More or less the drinking and possibly his system? Thanks for the quick replies
BirchBeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
twobytwopets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,553
Default

Also, how are you cleaning the cage and its accessories? I wonder if it may be a build up in cracks or gaps in anything or in the liners.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
canada, diet, food help, stink, urine

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stinky Pee! BirchBeer1 Diet and Nutrition 2 05-06-2015 08:51 PM
Stinky slippers ajweekley Fun Stuff 2 03-11-2014 11:43 PM
Stinky Boys AnnabellasMomma General Questions 4 09-12-2013 04:31 PM
STINKY! Pinkion Health 6 01-13-2012 03:13 PM
VERY Stinky Poop! jessicaellery General Questions 2 03-15-2010 09:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum