Bindi's Raw Diet - Page 9 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #81 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It was frozen and I have a strong stomach from working at Wildside. But yeah, it was pretty gross! And nope, she eats all of the mouse pinkies, and that was the first & only (so far) time that she'd left a rat pinky head. I don't see anything left from this one today, but I have to clean her cage later, so I'll wait & see. I'm kind of laughing because she's so weird. I went a little heavy on the insects last night, so it was really more food than she usually gets, but shrugged it off as a "treat" night. Well, Bindi agreed - she got full & didn't finish everything. Pancake would've just kept going!
twobytwopets and FinnickHog like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #82 (permalink)

I'm a masoquist!!!
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #83 (permalink)

This thread has been super helpful! I'm loving the photos of the meals all laid out, I've genuinely found it really inspirational .
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.
Charlie4591 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quick question! I'm wanting to get my little guy started on raw, but am super hesitant because of cost. What would you say is the average cost for your monthly meal plans for Bindi? It seems like you can make a little go a long way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #85 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's definitely a fair bit more expensive than feeding kibble or even wet food. But that partly depends on where you buy things from, whether you decide to breed any insects, and what ratios you're using. It's difficult to figure out cost per month, honestly, because I just order things when I need them and haven't really kept track well enough to figure out how long things last. The only note I have down from estimating my monthly bills says $85/month, but I don't know how correct that is. My insect orders are typically somewhere between $100-150. These are my Rainbowmealworms orders since last May, the first order since Bindi was 100% on her raw diet:

May 2016 - $70
Aug 2016 - $130
Aug 2016 - $95
Oct 2016 - $110
Nov 2016 - $150
Jan 2017 - $200
Feb 2017 - $150

I was ordering some of the insects (mostly dubias) from another site for a while there, so that factors into some of the cheaper orders. The last three are orders that included all of her insects except for earthworms (local pet store), grasshoppers, and snails (both canned, bought on Amazon).

The meat grinds definitely go a long way though, and I don't have to order those much at all. I've ordered twice since she went 100% raw - June 2016 ($130) and Nov 2016 ($155). The first one was just Bindi food, the second one had some extras for my cat & snake. The orders also included whole prey though, which are very expensive, but also last her a long time as she only gets whole prey once a week. I'm not going to need to order more meat grinds for her anytime soon as I have plenty on hand (and may try to offer some to my cat just because I don't want them to be TOO old before they get used).

Sorry it's not a very direct answer! I don't pay as much attention as I probably should.

Edit: Another factor in the last three insect orders: A bunch got used for making a raw mix for Pancake, so I had to buy more than usual. Still haven't decided if I'm going to try to really switch Pancake over or leave her be with her wet food since she's doing fine on it. I really don't want to make gross bug paste on a regular basis.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
It's definitely a fair bit more expensive than feeding kibble or even wet food. But that partly depends on where you buy things from, whether you decide to breed any insects, and what ratios you're using. It's difficult to figure out cost per month, honestly, because I just order things when I need them and haven't really kept track well enough to figure out how long things last. The only note I have down from estimating my monthly bills says $85/month, but I don't know how correct that is. My insect orders are typically somewhere between $100-150. These are my Rainbowmealworms orders since last May, the first order since Bindi was 100% on her raw diet:

May 2016 - $70
Aug 2016 - $130
Aug 2016 - $95
Oct 2016 - $110
Nov 2016 - $150
Jan 2017 - $200
Feb 2017 - $150

I was ordering some of the insects (mostly dubias) from another site for a while there, so that factors into some of the cheaper orders. The last three are orders that included all of her insects except for earthworms (local pet store), grasshoppers, and snails (both canned, bought on Amazon).

The meat grinds definitely go a long way though, and I don't have to order those much at all. I've ordered twice since she went 100% raw - June 2016 ($130) and Nov 2016 ($155). The first one was just Bindi food, the second one had some extras for my cat & snake. The orders also included whole prey though, which are very expensive, but also last her a long time as she only gets whole prey once a week. I'm not going to need to order more meat grinds for her anytime soon as I have plenty on hand (and may try to offer some to my cat just because I don't want them to be TOO old before they get used).

Sorry it's not a very direct answer! I don't pay as much attention as I probably should.

Edit: Another factor in the last three insect orders: A bunch got used for making a raw mix for Pancake, so I had to buy more than usual. Still haven't decided if I'm going to try to really switch Pancake over or leave her be with her wet food since she's doing fine on it. I really don't want to make gross bug paste on a regular basis.

PHEW. I definitely feel like I could save money by making my own grinds. My girlfriend does that for her cats. As a full-time student, I've gotta weigh costs/time usage very carefully.

I guess my first step is just getting him to like things. He threw a fit about having to eat mealworms out of a bowl and normally gobbles them right up off any other flat surface...UGH!

Still trying to figure all the percentages out. I feel a bit overwhelmed but feel like it's worth it in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #87 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So Bindi's been putting on too much weight and is a little pudge now. I'm also starting to get burnt out on having everything separated & dealing with so many containers & whatnot. So...a diet rework is currently in progress, both for what she's getting, possibly the amount of food, and how I'm storing & presenting it.

I'm currently trying to figure out what I'd like to do with insects - some are going to go into a coarse chopped mix. I think I want to keep some out for individual treats & food enrichment. I think that may be dubias and superworms as they're relatively painless to store and they don't thaw out super gross (also less gross clean up if she doesn't find them in a hiding spot). I'm also going to keep waxworms separate & move those to a "treat only" thing once a week or so. Everything else - crickets, maggots, hornworms, snails, grasshoppers, earthworms, mealworms, mw aliens, & mw beetles - will go into the insect mix. I'm going to package it weirdly right now for an experimental phase while I see if she'll eat it, then once I can order some regular ice cube trays, I'll freeze it in daily chunks & keep them in a plastic bag. I think this will cut down on the storage room her insects take up in the freezer.

I think I'm also going to mix all of her meat grinds up together - currently still chicken, rabbit, duck, and salmon - to get every night. I may also change how I currently package & store them because I think I'm going to add her fruit/veg mix into the meat, which will probably make it too bulky to fit in the little cube trays I currently use. Perhaps I'll use the bigger ice cube trays for those as well? Or just make little blobs/patties on a plate & freeze them that way, then store in bag.

So if this all works out well, her meals will change from getting out meat cubes, 3-4 different types of insects + chipping out frozen veg mix to grabbing a meat/veg patty, grabbing an insect cube, and then grabbing some whole insects for enrichment items or treats. It'll look less pretty, but it sounds way easier to manage. She'll still get whole prey on the weekends as well, in place of the meat mix.

The other benefit of doing it this way is it'll be easier to try & introduce Pancake to the diet again, which I'd like to do. Though I'll have to try & figure out the costs for having both of them on the diet as money is a little tight right now. She's doing fine on her wet food, so I may leave well enough alone for now.

I'll probably post some pictures once I get the method all switched over & whatnot.
FinnickHog likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in