Flaxseed Oil tablets? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flaxseed Oil tablets?

I've recently noticed Persimmon's skin has been getting a bit dry, especially his poor little ears. I've read on here that giving them flaxseed oil helps and I was wondering if these flaxseed oil supplement tablet things would be ok to give him? And if so, how would I go about that? Maybe crushed up and mixed with his food? If not, where can I find the proper flaxseed oil to give him?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley ... t/10324860
Mushaboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Flaxseed Oil tablets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushaboom
I've recently noticed Persimmon's skin has been getting a bit dry, especially his poor little ears. I've read on here that giving them flaxseed oil helps and I was wondering if these flaxseed oil supplement tablet things would be ok to give him? And if so, how would I go about that? Maybe crushed up and mixed with his food? If not, where can I find the proper flaxseed oil to give him?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley ... t/10324860
Those are capsules don't think they make tablets you just poke a hole in them and drizzle it on their back or food
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Those are softgels, and that's the righ kind. You can just use a pin to pop a hole in a capsule, and put a few drops on his food maybe twice a week. You can also drizzle a little of it on his back, and put it on the rinse water when giving him a bath.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ah, gotcha. I just assumed they were solids... I suppose if I'd read the description I would have seen the word "softgels" haha.

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can use the pure liquid form too if you prefer...I like the liquid, less mess poking holes and trying to squish out correct amount lol. I take it too a couple x a week so easy to drip a drop or 2 on Hazels kibble off my spoon.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy-Fit-Hazel
You can use the pure liquid form too if you prefer...I like the liquid, less mess poking holes and trying to squish out correct amount lol. I take it too a couple x a week so easy to drip a drop or 2 on Hazels kibble off my spoon.
Where do you find the liquid kind?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR

Those are capsules don't think they make tablets you just poke a hole in them and drizzle it on their back or food

If I were to drizzle it on his food, do I use the entire amount of liquid in a tablet, or just a few drops?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't get the liquid kind in a bottle. It goes rancid very very fast, within a few weeks, if even. The moment the bottle opens and air gets in, the process begins and keeping it in the fridge only does so much. The capsules last much longer.

You can start off with half a tablet in the food and half in bath or to rub directly on ears. Make sure your hedgie will eat the kibble that has the oil on it. My boy loves it, but some hedgies don't. After a week or two, you can start using the entire capsule in the food. When my boys skin was bad, I gave 1 capsule every 3-4 days. Nowadays, I give 1 per week sometimes 2 weeks.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
Don't get the liquid kind in a bottle. It goes rancid very very fast, within a few weeks, if even. The moment the bottle opens and air gets in, the process begins and keeping it in the fridge only does so much. The capsules last much longer.
Not sure what kind you buy...but I buy excellent quality flax oil, have used for years and it has never gone rancid. My current 1000ml bottle generally they have a fridge life/expiry of 5 mths or so. The lid on nearly all of them is a one way only valve so air doesn't get in. It does not matter to me in the least what anyone chooses to use I simply let the poster know they cann use the liquid should they wish to and why I use it ( because for me personally it's much more convenient )

Orignal poster- You can buy the liquid nearly any place you get the capsules (pharmacy / grocery/ organic food shops) You can get small bottles too, I get a large one because I use it for me and my dogs too
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy-Fit-Hazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
Not sure what kind you buy...but I buy excellent quality flax oil, have used for years and it has never gone rancid. My current 1000ml bottle generally they have a fridge life/expiry of 5 mths or so. The lid on nearly all of them is a one way only valve so air doesn't get in. It does not matter to me in the least what anyone chooses to use I simply let the poster know they cann use the liquid should they wish to and why I use it ( because for me personally it's much more convenient )

Orignal poster- You can buy the liquid nearly any place you get the capsules (pharmacy / grocery/ organic food shops) You can get small bottles too, I get a large one because I use it for me and my dogs too
I was looking for it in Target last night & they only had the capsules. I have capsules for myself that i've been putting on Walter's food and he loves it. But I've been cutting the capsule or taking it apart to put it on and it gets all over my fingers so I think a liquid one would work much better for him. =) Do you use a specific brand?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in